OT: Pickups for my LP

T Stre

• Members

Maybe I need to take this to the Electric forum, but I never post there so I figure I would try you guys first. My first electric was a Epi LP, and a few months ago I got a gretsch. I still though enjoy playing the LP, it's can do things the Gretsch can't. sometimes I just wanna rock like only a LP can, know what I mean? Anyway...I want to upgrade my pickups (instead of paying $2000 for a Gibson). What would you guys recommend? I play classic rock/blues etc... thanks!

• Members
Maybe I need to take this to the Electric forum, but I never post there so I figure I would try you guys first. My first electric was a Epi LP, and a few months ago I got a gretsch. I still though enjoy playing the LP, it's can do things the Gretsch can't. sometimes I just wanna rock like only a LP can, know what I mean? Anyway...I want to upgrade my pickups (instead of paying $2000 for a Gibson). What would you guys recommend? I play classic rock/blues etc... thanks!

i bought an epi LP custom to upgrade for fun and put a gibson burstbucker pro in the bridge and a burstbucker 2 in the neck. they sound great. ive also got a set of gibson embossed covers on them.:)

epilp2.jpg

epilp1.jpg

• Members
i bought an epi LP custom to upgrade for fun and put a gibson burstbucker pro in the bridge and a burstbucker 2 in the neck. they sound great. ive also got a set of gibson embossed covers on them.
:)epilp2.jpgepilp1.jpg

Nice! That thing looks great! Do those covers make any difference sonically?

• Members
no, theyre just chrome covers with 'gibson' carved into them. gibson put them on some guitars in the 70s. i bought them from 2 different people on ebay.
:)

Very cool. what % improvement in the sound would you say the new pups made?

• Members

My two favorite combinations are...

Neck: '59

Bridge: Pearly Gates

This combo retains "traditional output", the '59 is smooth and articulate allowing for incredible clean and dirty classic lead and blues tones. The PG is basically an overwound hot PAF, but not so hot that chord work sounds harsh with one.

Neck: Jazz

Bridge: JB

I call this setup my "Jekyll & Hyde" setup. The Jazz is clear and articulate, smoking fast leads don't turn into mud while is is in use. The JB is harmonically rich and aggressive, playing dirty is its thing, it's a little hot for warm clean chord work and it is slightly nasal sounding, but it still is one of my favorites for smoking hot lead work :thu:

• Members
My two favorite combinations are... Neck: '59 Bridge: Pearly Gates This combo retains "traditional output", the '59 is smooth and articulate allowing for incredible clean and dirty classic lead and blues tones. The PG is basically an overwound hot PAF, but not so hot that chord work sounds harsh with one. Neck: Jazz Bridge: JB I call this setup my "Jekyll & Hyde" setup. The Jazz is clear and articulate, smoking fast leads don't turn into mud while is is in use. The JB is harmonically rich and aggressive, playing dirty is its thing, it's a little hot for warm clean chord work and it is
slightly
nasal sounding, but it still is one of my favorites for smoking hot lead work
:thu:

Very cool, I will check these out as well. Thanks!

• Members

DiMarzio: Paf or Paf-pro neck and a Super Distortion bridge. If you want something smoother with less "bark" in the bridge then put a Breed neck version in the bridge.

I use a reg' DiMarzio Paf neck with the Breed neck version in the bridge of my Gibson Explorer. It's smooth and cool sounding. Covers all your rocks and blues. I am in no hurry to change these pups out at all. The Breed crunches up in an Angus meets Malcolm young kind of way.

• Members

i bought an epi LP custom to upgrade for fun and put a gibson burstbucker pro in the bridge and a burstbucker 2 in the neck. they sound great. ive also got a set of gibson embossed covers on them.
:)

I'm glad you like the burstbucker pro, and I don't doubt it's an upgrade from stock. I didn't really like it in a Gibby LP Standard. It was too thin, bright & harsh. For the Les Paul I like the Rio Grande BBQ bucker. It shares some traits with the JB but it sounds thicker & meatier. Then put a Rio Grande Genuine Texas in the neck. Excellent hard rock setup there. :thu:

• Members

I've got two seymour duncan alnico II pro's in mine, and it does sound like slash sometimes, but not all the time, so it's alright :) It also helps that I'm playing through a mesa boogie but..

Yeah, they're WAY clearer and way more responsive than the stock pu's. I definitely recommend them. :thu:

Archived