HELP: fuzz in front of a pretty dirty amp

Scotty Danger

• Members

guitar: Gibson SG Classic w Dream 180 bridge and neck

amp: Soldano SLO built into an '85 JCM 800. Weird, but amazing.

This amp is single channel, and has a good amount of gain. I would like to be able to get a really thick and warm fuzz sound. However, I'm worried about running a fuzz into an overdriven amp, cause I'm a fuzz noooob :eek: . When I play live, I use the volume knob a lot to clean the sound up, the amp is verrrry touch sensitive.

Should I roll back the volume knob when I use the fuzz???

Any specific pedals that might work for my particular situation? I'd rather not have a fuzz that is super scooped and fizzy sounding.

I've also got a FoxRox Octron that I love and want to run with the fuzz.

Thanks so much guys for any info, I appreciate it

• Members

I love running my Muff infront of my Sovtek Mig when it's overdriven as it gives me some of the sweetest fuzz tones I've ever heard. However, it does not clean up well with the volume knob, so I usually just turn the Muff off. The Muff is a pretty massive fuzz though, and other fuzzes such as fuzz faces and tonebenders clean up better from what I hear.

IMO, I think a Fuzz Face varient of some type is what you should look for.

• Members

double muff? wow, sounds like that might be too much!!

i might just buy a big muff from guitar center and mess with it in a band setting and see how it sounds with the band. they are pretty cheap compared to other boutiquyyyy stuff.

for some reason I am drawn towards D*A*M stuff

the higher strings can get a little piercing with my setup, so I'd love it if some type of fuzz could warm it up a bit and make it more chewwwwy. if you know what i'm sayin

thanks

• Members

I'm thinking that a good Fuzz Face is what you'd be after. Maybe give the Mojo Hand/Tone Factor Huckleberry a try. It should do the whole Fuzz Face thing and clean up well, but also have a little bit of the aggro-muff thing going on when maxed out.

• Members

First of all, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oamahR97xpA

Townshend plays with a SG P90s into a overdriven Hiwatt and he sometimes uses a fuzzface to add more dirt ;)

A nice fuzzface is all you need. A Big Muff is way too much. I've had the D*A*M Ramhead, which is absolutely fantastic. But it's too extreme for my and I think also for your needs. Anyway... after a while I discovered the fuzzface and bought a Hot Wire Audio Fuzzwork Orange. This pedal is 100% great for you. Works great with humbuckers or P90s. P.S. A shame you have humbuckers in your SG Classic, put some P90s back in it :cool:

Anyway, I use the Fuzzwork Orange exactly like you want to. Amp on breakup for a nice crunch, hit the Fuzzwork Orange and voila! Here's a very thick and warm sounding fuzz :)

If you turn the 'bias' knob back, you'll have a agressive 'Townshend' sound like on that vid. Ideal pedal! I can send you some soundclips if you want...

• Members

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I ended up going with the Addrock Geranium. The Input gain control seemed like a great idea, so hopefully, when combined with the Output control, I can shave off gain so my setup doesn't explode.

I really want to try a Monsterpiece, the problem was that I couldn't wait a week or so to get it, I needed something by tommorrow. ughhhhh.

• Members

well, the addrock sounds rad when the gain is really low on the amp, but my setup becomes too noisy when I have the pregain where I usually like it (which isn't even that high . . .)

i'm trying to figure out how to set it up . . ... .

i might be selling it soon though. sucks.

• Members

no dude, i'm a human being who plays music for a living. i love it :)

i spent some more time tweaking the pedal tonight to my amp. i'm just gonna turn the pre-gain way down on the songs that I need the fuzz for :idea:

the addrock sounds really rich - not fizzy at all

• Members

yeah, my amp definitely isn't on the verge of breakup.

even with the preamp gain very low, its still insanely loud and aggressive. there isn't any mud or fizz mucking the notes, which is great. however, it is a very in your face / brash kinda sound.

i'll keep messin with the knobs and see what i can come up with

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sounds like you want to try the EHX Double Muff
:thu:

. . . 1st setting is sooo sweet w. a dirty amp, and the 2nd setting is way OTT
:evil:
- and even though i have not tried it, think it will be something that you are looking for !

My 2cents

;)

OK, so now i am a DoubleMuff owner and i love every sec. of it !!!

I run it like this :

Epi LP Gold Top (soon w. TV Jones Power Tron Plus & Power Tron) -->EHX LPB-1 -->EHX Double Muff (set on first setting) --> Blues Jr. cranked all the way !

For the first time i can truely say i like my tone very much :thu:

So, do give the DoubleMuff a go . . .

My 2cents

;)

• Members

This thread rules. I actually have the same problems running fuzz with my vibrolux, surprisingly. I think I put tubes in it years back that make it break up earlier and get more gain, and combined with hot pu's and fuzz it can get out of control really quickly. Had to learn to turn the fuzz down as I turn the amp up to keep it from turning into a feedbacky mess.

Archived