Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist Tone!?

avapxia

• Members

Yeah, the corporate bull{censored} they pulled for this album is retarded. It's a tired argument though, so let's all just agree that Billy Corgan is likely a pompous money-hungry ass, but that doesn't change the fact that he makes beautiful music.

I'm talking particularly about the tone on the song "Tarantula." What guitar, amp, and effects were used? I'm familiar with his use of the Big Muff for Siamese Dream--is it still in use for this album?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

he's known for having a Diezel amp over the last few years i think..?

i think the lead sounds are high gain distortion plus microsynth.

Doomsday Clock sounded fecking huge in the Transformers fight scene in the cinema. ncie to have some beefy sounding guitars back instead of all this meek british indie rubbish that's saturating the airwaves. and a guitar solo.. whod've thought it!

• Members

I doubt he is a right-wing {censored}tard. The new album is very political and in general seems anti-government.

They have a new guitar player and bass player. Billy and Jimmy are the only original members on the new album.

From Youtube vids it looks like he is playing a Strat with EMGs.

EDIT: In other vids he is playing a Strat with Hot Rails.

• Members

I think he might have gone back to the old Lace Sensor setup with his strats. I think something like red/bridge, silver/middle, blue/neck? I might have mixed up the last two, but you get the point. Other than that, yeah I think it's lace sensors/strat/Diezel for the most part.

• Members

in the early days it was a jcm800/big muff, then he moved on to a jmp1 preamp/digitech dsp2101 with some kinda of power amp and mesa cabs. all this was a strat with lace sensors.

for adore and machina, he went on to use a {censored} load of marshal valvestate 2x12 combos and an es335, and he got a surprisingly nice tone out of them.

no idea what he's using now.

• Members

I doubt he is a right-wing fucktard. The new album is very political and in general seems anti-government.

They have a new guitar player and bass player. Billy and Jimmy are the only original members on the new album.

Billy and Jimmy are the only members on the album PERIOD. The bass/rhythm guitar is all Corgan. The two new members are tour-only.

His strat has a fixed bridge (well, it's been fixed) and the while the pickups look like Hot Rails, they're actually Dimarzio rails. :eek:

• Members

I doubt he is a right-wing {censored}tard. The new album is very political and in general seems anti-government.

He probably ate crow and changed his ways. Good for him. Zwan was cool...esp. Paz Lenchantin. She was smoking!!!

• Members

Doomsday Clock sounded fecking huge in the Transformers fight scene in the cinema. ncie to have some beefy sounding guitars back instead of all this meek british indie rubbish that's saturating the airwaves. and a guitar solo.. whod've thought it!

I agree, I too hate all that soft limp weak sauce crap.

Time again for some big mega crunch!

• Members

Hooray! Count me as a fan of "Zeitgeist". It's a grower, but it's heavey and it grooves.

Last night, I was listening to "Starla" off the Pisces Iscariot album. That was the good old days! The Pumpkins make me want to play with lots of gain and a flanger! :love:

• Members

Quit giving Billy all this {censored}. Admit it, the day you heard Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, you heralded the Pumpkins "the greatest band in the world." I did. I ways only 8.

Gish and Siamese Dream...I really thought they were cool. But they became a cartoon version of themselves from Melon Collie and so-forth.

What's D'Arcy and Iha upto? Hopefully not heroine.

• Members

+1000000

What I want to know is how he gets those incredible banshee wail lead sounds on Zeitgeist, such as on the Tarantula solo. Envelope phaser??? Wah->flanger??? Does anyone know anything specific? It sure isn't just a cranked Uber or Herbert by itself.

Archived