Weird problem post pickup change...

• Members

I posted this thread over in DIY, but had no help:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1722007

here is the thread in writing:

Weird problem post pickup change...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I changed the pickups on my Squier standard tele (which is my backup guitar) from the stock squier ones to some nicer fender ones. The pickups were wired a little strangely, I thought (I'm talking about the stock ones), and it was a different arrangement to what I'd seen on all the diagrams on the internet.

Anyway, I replaced the pickups, doing nothing but putting new ones in the way the old ones had been in. BUT since I've done that, whenever I use the middle and bridge positions on the switch (i.e. whenever the bridge pickup is being used), the chrome plate above the electronics seems to become part of the circuit! There's a loud noise, almost as loud as when I play a note, when I switch to the bridge pickup, and whenever I tap the electronics plate, this sound is amplified, as though it were a pickup!

Any ideas why this might be?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions any of you might have.

hmmmm.....grounding issue maybe??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc G

hmmmm.....grounding issue maybe??

that's what I'd guess, but I don't know how to sort that out. How does one "ground" a guitar?? I did notice that there was a wire from one of the pots which sort of rested underneath the bridge plate, and maybe when I took off the bridge it got dislodged? I'll make sure it's in contact and then post back, but meanwhile, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate them!

Thanks Marc G

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzbluesrock69

that's what I'd guess, but I don't know how to sort that out. How does one "ground" a guitar?? I did notice that there was a wire from one of the pots which sort of rested underneath the bridge plate, and maybe when I took off the bridge it got dislodged? I'll make sure it's in contact and then post back, but meanwhile, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate them!

Thanks Marc G

right, no luck. I put a small sheet of aluminium/aluminum foil under there to make sure there was some connection for the grounding, but no luck. ONe other thing though: there is also a noise when the cable jack moves, but only when using the bridge pickup. I'm really at a loss here, can anyone help?

Has anyone got any idea why the metal bit over the electronics has now turned into a pickup??

Many thanks in advance.

Archived