Everyone's got their eBay horror stories. Here's mine!

angelhair0

• Members

I put up a DM-2 on eBay. $200 BIN. Good deal! The winner is a guy I have dealt with before. It took him 3 weeks to pay me last time because his Paypal account wasn't setup yet. No big deal, he ended up paying me after trying to negotiate shipping. I wouldn't budge on shipping. It was to Australia, plus I run a mailorder business (clothing line) so materials to pack and ship cost a little money. I usually factor that into my shipping charges. My shipping charges are modest. Sometimes I lose out, sometimes I don't. Anyway...

I ship the guy the pedal after he pays me. Weeks later I get a Paypal money request for several dollars due to the excess in shipping charges. I replied saying that just because I charged/he paid several more dollars than what appears on the little sticker on the box I shipped him doesn't mean I ripped anyone off. I explained to him I have people who ship for me in my business, and that packing materials cost money, plus it was an international shipment (he asked me permission to bid because my auctions are typically US only, so I did him a favor). He continues to insist, via email, that I ripped him off and people have been ripping him off "left and right" lately for shipping charges. I told him if he didn't like the shipping charge he never should have bid. After three or four emails go back and forth, each one getting more and more heated, he sent me another money request via Paypal. For A FEW DOLLARS. The next day he sent another. I didn't pay it. I refused to. I could have just said to hell with it and lost a few dollars because it's not much, just to get him off my back, but something told me he was flipping out over nothing. If he knew anything about mailorder, he would understand what SHIPPING AND HANDLING is, right?

Well, he leaves me negative feedback. And the feedback says that I ripped him off OVER $50!!!

This is my FIRST negative feedback. EVER. I have a 256 rating. He flat out lies and says I not only ripped him off, but for over $50.

And of course, eBay's feedback policy makes it so I can't do {censored} about this. They don't retract feedback left in retaliation, which is obviously what this cheap asshole was doing. It would be one thing if he said I ripped him off 3 dollars or something. Even then, I would still be mad, because he is a {censored}head who doesn't understand there is more to shipping than merely the postage. And it's not like I charged him 10 or 20 extra dollars. And it's not like he didn't know what he was paying before he paid it.

So that's my story. Not a tragedy. More humor than anything, I guess. But I am pretty pissed. He ruined my clean slate. I know for a fact that a ton of my eBay customers have had their pedals, shirts, jackets, whatever they ordered from me, arrive to their home with a slightly lower number on it than what they paid online. But if you run a business, you charge shipping and handling. Find ONE company online who's shipping charges don't exceed at least some change than what the sticker on the package says when it shows up. That's what S&H is, I thought.

Even if I'm wrong with my opinion and thoughts on shipping charges, out of 256 positive feedbacks and one neutral, no one ever had a problem with my shipping charges. This guy flips out and lies and says I ripped him off $50+. What an asshole!

PM me if you want his current and past eBay username. As far as I know he doesn't go to this forum.

• Members

you should definitely burn his house down. what a bastard.

once I mailed a guy a phone I sold him on ebay, it had delivery confirmation and he received it, and then since it all went well I lost track of the confirmation slip and he did a paypal item not received feud, and there was nothing I could do about it, so I had to pay for the phone.. {censored}ing asshole.

• Members

People rip people off on shipping all the time... I don't care if packing costs a few bucks, I generally like stuff like that slide, but if it's obvious they rape you just because you live in another country, they have the right to complain... I ordered twice from GFS, and I'll never do it again (aside from the fact I paid for items that didn't show up, and then find out AFTER the other things arrived they were backordered, and then backordered again), mostly because for two orders or pickups, I paid over $40US for shipping to canada, and the total shipping cost marked on each package totaled to a little over $8...

I complained and was told that "the cost of packaging, paying employees to package, etc." added up to $40, which is BULL{censored}... On ebay a sample DVD I'm interested in has a shipping cost of $35... garbage...Shipping is the biggest rippoff ever, and more people should complain because there's no regulation at all... Sure, you may have not charged more than a few bucks extra, but everyone gouges all the time, so I can see why the guy could feel ripped off...

• Members

People rip people off on shipping all the time... I don't care if packing costs a few bucks, I generally like stuff like that slide, but if it's obvious they rape you just because you live in another country, they have the right to complain... I ordered twice from GFS, and I'll never do it again (aside from the fact I paid for items that didn't show up, and then find out AFTER the other things arrived they were backordered, and then backordered again), mostly because for two orders or pickups, I paid over $40US for shipping to canada, and the total shipping cost marked on each package totaled to a little over $8...

I complained and was told that "the cost of packaging, paying employees to package, etc." added up to $40, which is BULL{censored}... On ebay a sample DVD I'm interested in has a shipping cost of $35... garbage...Shipping is the biggest rippoff ever, and more people should complain because there's no regulation at all... Sure, you may have not charged more than a few bucks extra, but everyone gouges all the time, so I can see why the guy could feel ripped off...

I totally agree! I know exactly what you're saying... you are not exaggerating when you talk about the $35 for a DVD thing. That is a reality.

• Members

The time to determine and negotiate shipping costs is before you bid. If they're not specified and you don't ask, you're pretty much at the seller's mercy.

• Members

The time to determine and negotiate shipping costs is before you bid. If they're not specified and you don't ask, you're pretty much at the seller's mercy.

Time to determine and negotiate shipping costs?

I always, always, always, specify shipping rates in my auctions. He was out of the country and emailed me and asked him how much I would charge him for shipping. I said I usually don't ship out of the country or Canada but my transaction with him went alright last time so I would make an exception and I gave him his own specific shipping cost which I have record of.

• Members

Time to determine and negotiate shipping costs?

I always, always, always, specify shipping rates in my auctions. He was out of the country and emailed me and asked him how much I would charge him for shipping. I said I usually don't ship out of the country or Canada but my transaction with him went alright last time so I would make an exception and I gave him his own specific shipping cost which I have record of.

You're completely right in this one. I was referring to SFOT who was complaining about shipping costs after he bid, the same as your buyer did. I'm saying although the seller should specify costs as you did, it's up to the buyer to make sure that they're aware of and willing to accept the costs before bidding. If I see an auction where the seller didn't specify, I'll ask before I bid to be sure.

• Members

This is not a horror story. MINE is:

Listed an item with the word BROKEN in all caps in the title. First line of description stated that ITEM DOES NOT WORK, NEEDS FIX. Last line of description - BE ADVISED THIS ITEM IS NOT FUNCTIONING.

Item sold, shipped off promptly. Next thing I know is that the guy is threatening action because THE ITEM DID NOT WORK!! Well, of course not!! He said that I wasn't clear enough!! Ha!! Then he said I didn't describe the problem accurately, because he was "an electrical engineer and can fix anything". He wanted not only his money back, but me to send him $10 to ship it back!! I told him to take it up with Paypal, which he did. All I did was send them a link to the auction and the UPS tracking number. Two days later, they found in my favor. He then threatened to call the local police. Which he later did. I told the detective the situation, sent him the link and the UPS number and never heard from him again. Final e-mail from the guy was to the effect of "I bet you are happy that you have eBay, Paypal and the police in your back pocket so you can continue to rip people off".

The odd thing about it all was that he did NOT leave negative or neutral feedback! I guess he was worried about what I'd write.

• Members

You're completely right in this one. I was referring to SFOT who was complaining about shipping costs after he bid, the same as your buyer did. I'm saying although the seller should specify costs as you did, it's up to the buyer to make sure that they're aware of and willing to accept the costs before bidding. If I see an auction where the seller didn't specify, I'll ask before I bid to be sure.

Yep!

• Members
This is not a horror story. MINE is:

Listed an item with the word BROKEN in all caps in the title. First line of description stated that ITEM DOES NOT WORK, NEEDS FIX. Last line of description - BE ADVISED THIS ITEM IS NOT FUNCTIONING.

Item sold, shipped off promptly. Next thing I know is that the guy is threatening action because THE ITEM DID NOT WORK!! Well, of course not!! He said that I wasn't clear enough!! Ha!! Then he said I didn't describe the problem accurately, because he was "an electrical engineer and can fix anything". He wanted not only his money back, but me to send him $10 to ship it back!! I told him to take it up with Paypal, which he did. All I did was send them a link to the auction and the UPS tracking number. Two days later, they found in my favor. He then threatened to call the local police. Which he later did. I told the detective the situation, sent him the link and the UPS number and never heard from him again. Final e-mail from the guy was to the effect of "I bet you are happy that you have eBay, Paypal and the police in your back pocket so you can continue to rip people off".

The odd thing about it all was that he did NOT leave negative or neutral feedback! I guess he was worried about what I'd write.

That is a horror story more so than mine, yes. But at least everyone was on your side in the end, and it made him look like a complete idiot. In my case, I look like the idiot, because it is public that I apparently ripped my guy off over $50... your guy just sounds like he has an IQ in the single digits. :D

• Members
That is a horror story more so than mine, yes. But at least everyone was on your side in the end, and it made him look like a complete idiot. In my case, I look like the idiot, because it is public that I apparently ripped my guy off over $50... your guy just sounds like he has an IQ in the single digits.
:D

Did you respond to the feedback? You can do that. Also, hopefully you left feedback in return. If you want, Square trade can help you both agree to at FB withdraw.

• Members

This is why I always wait to leave feedback until AFTER the buyer does. At least you can mutually withdraw bad feedback.

I hate lame eBayers.

Exactly. That's really about the only power sellers have once an items shipped out. I've gotten to the point on ebay where I just expect one idiot every few months. I could pay them to take something from me, drive it to their house, hook it up and show them how to use it and they'd be unhappy because I didn't pay them enough to take it.

The thing I wonder about with these types of people is how they survive in life. I mean really - how do they keep a job? Put food in their mouths? Pay bills? Maintain any healthy relationships? Maybe they don't, I don't know.

• Members

Did you respond to the feedback? You can do that. Also, hopefully you left feedback in return. If you want, Square trade can help you both agree to at FB withdraw.

I left positive feedback because he received it and didn't even start to email me and complain about shipping until way later. I'm so pissed that I did. I responded to my feedback and did a follow up to my positive feedback on his end.

• Members

I left positive feedback because he received it and didn't even start to email me and complain about shipping until way later. I'm so pissed that I did. I responded to my feedback and did a follow up to my positive feedback on his end.

Just another argument for why buyers should leave feedback first. I never leave feedback as a seller until I hear from the buyer that they're happy. This demonstrates to those that feel otherwise, that just because a buyer has paid, doesn't mean they deserve positive feedback right away.

• Members

Just another argument for why buyers should leave feedback first. I never leave feedback as a seller until I hear from the buyer that they're happy. This demonstrates to those that feel otherwise, that just because a buyer has paid, doesn't mean they deserve positive feedback right away.

That's the funny thing though. He was happy. He notified me that he got the pedal and it was as described. Only weeks later did he start to bitch about shipping. But I am going to wait a while from now on.

• Members

I messaged another eBayer whom he left negative feedback for, ACCUSING HIM OF RIPPING HIM OFF OVER $50! This guy has a favorite lie...

The eBayer messaged me back with this:

I havn't yet but plan to. First off I emailed the guy about 10 times and every time the email came back as a bad address. I tried getting in touch with him through the ebay system and finaly he got back to me after a month and gave me a new email to reach him at. He sent me about 10-12 paypal payment request. Then shortly after left a NEG. To me the guy seems like a real bone head. I am going to contact my account rep and see what can be done. Have you noticed him giving any one else negs? If there is a trend of him harassing ebay members and leaving negs then maybe we can get him kicked off. I certianly felt harassed by him. Hopfully this guy will find himself on the other end of this and then fully understand the amazing amount of work, time, post office long lines and hassle etc it take to ship this stuff out.Also the guy is a lyer plain and simple. The over all shipping was $32. Keep me posted if you learn anything about him doing this to other members. Thanks! Brent

Archived