whos using a THD Hot Plate?

SLY_Z_28

• Members

i wouldn't do it with a mesa cause it has a master volume and i heard that mesa's power tubes don't sound that good pushed cause their designed to get really loud clean. i love a hotplate with a 4 input marshall or with the speedster stacks i get on loan from a friend. check out my myspace, all of that was recorded with a cranked marshall into a hotplate, sounds great and yes it wears the tubes down a bit faster, but not fast enough that you'd be spending a whole lotta money on tubes. if you ever get a non master amp, look into one. :-d

• Members

had one and never cared for it thought it colored my tone too much and could never get a nice clean with the volume rolled back even at the 1st setting..so sold it. gave an allseandro muzzle a try it has NO bells and whistles but seems to color it less and i am very happy....use a 70's 8x10 marshall cab and a 74 50 watt head

• Members

My amp gets silly loud! the loudest guitar amp I ever played on. So I never been able to run pre and power tubes hot- so I picked up this for 50 bucks on the bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270157063563&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr3_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=270154064645&itemcount=3&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

has anybody tried one of these? mine is in the mail.

• Members

has anybody tried one of these? mine is in the mail.

I'd assume from the price and size that it's a simple resistive load - the simplest from of attenuator... It may sound reasonable at low levels of attneuation - but much more than that and i think you'll find that you lose a lot of dynamics, feel and the sound quality will degrade... obv this is speculation - so i'd be very interested to find out!

• Members

I'd assume from the price and size that it's a simple resistive load - the simplest from of attenuator... It may sound reasonable at low levels of attneuation - but much more than that and i think you'll find that you lose a lot of dynamics, feel and the sound quality will degrade... obv this is speculation - so i'd be very interested to find out!

same here- I have no idea? My amp does have a master volume- my plans are to dime the master and turn the channel vol up until it starts to distort- Ill let you know the outcome with some gut shots.

• Members

same here- I have no idea? My amp does have a master volume- my plans are to dime the master and turn the channel vol up until it starts to distort- Ill let you know the outcome with some gut shots.

Look forward to seeing it! I'm guessing l-pad... you never kniow - this thing could sound killer!

Archived