Small Clone Click Question

Bigsnake

• Members

I know this has been discussed before but I got a few questions.

How loud should the "click" be after you've turned it on and off a few times? The first is definitely the loudest on my pedal, but even after continued on off, it's still noticeable. I took the first back and got a 2nd and it does it the same. Just want to make sure this is normal because I LOVE this chorus effect but not this click.

I have a crybaby wah with a similar switch and the click it makes when turning it on and off you have to be right up on the amp to hear.

Also, in one thread in a search, someone mentioned a mod for TB pedals to get rid of the pop, something about adding a resistor, but no more info was said about it. I've searched, can't find anything. Is there a mod to quiet down TB pedals?

Edit: Video link in post #12

• Members

The "click" on my small clone happens every so often. But when it does happen; it only occurs once during that session of playing.

Otherwise turning the pedal on/off is completely transparent? Can't hear anything through the amp?

• Members

The loud click might be due to the echo in the hollow, thin casing. (If I know what you're referring to.) I have a few EHX pedals and they're all loud clickers, compared to something like an MXR (similar switch) which is build more solid.

Maybe shove some foam in there to dampen the sound.

• Members

The loud click might be due to the echo in the hollow, thin casing. (If I know what you're referring to.) I have a few EHX pedals and they're all loud clickers, compared to something like an MXR (similar switch) which is build more solid.

Maybe shove some foam in there to dampen the sound.

You think the noise would transfer to the amp as well? It's not the click of the actual switch I'm talking about.

• Members

sounds like a crackly pot or faulty switch. does the pop it make continue after you push the switch down or only a few seconds afterwards.

Only when the switch is pushed down. Just a single pop.

I tried to take a video of it but it also picked the switch itself up. I guess I'll have to go in another room from the amp :o

Just wanting to know if this thing should be fully transparent going on and off. I only have a 15watt amp, but I'm planning on getting a Twin Reverb in the next month or so. I don't want this to be a loud thud through that amp.

• Members

I made a short video. Recorded with a sony camera and it's little mic. I forgot to turn off the TV so, yes, that is King of the Hill in the background. I'm in the other room to hide the clicking of the pedal switch itself. Setup is just a monster cable from guitar to pedal, monster cable from pedal to amp. No other pedals used.

Play a few chords around 8 seconds to hear guitar volume

turn on chorus at 14

around 21 seconds turn it on and off a few times with no playing. Can hear the noise.

Then play and turn it on during it.

It's obviously all louder in person. Tell me if this is normal, thanks.

• Members

my small clone has a loud POP as well. But the thing to do is to engage it before your jam session or whatever because its almost like it has to be warmed up or something and every other click after that is pretty normal.

another thing about clicks as well is that if your really into your music and see the click button as a channel or gate to get the next sound your looking for in your next riff or whatever then it isnt that much of a big deal because im a big fan of boss noiseless switch pedals and it isnt much difference after awhile so i dont mind the EHX style clicks anymore...

• Members

ohhh..

the intial pop is normal, but the buzzing afterwards sounds like it would if you have a distortion pedal before with it on.

what else do you have in the chain

Thanks for the help

Was just running the Small Clone in the video, no distortion pedal or anything else. I just attributed that other noise as this just being a pedal that adds some noise.

Edit: It has more of that noise after being turned on with the depth switch up like in the video. With it down, it's reduced. Not sure if that means anything.

• Members

The click of the switch is absolutely normal. Just hit every pedals switch (and occasionally the guitars pu switch) 2-3 times before your turn you amp on and all popping is gone! It's a matter of charges of every electric piece of your chain...:thu:

Archived