Best Break-up Pedal Under $50

tocs100

• Members

Have the Fab Dist., which sounds really good. Wondering what ya'll think.

By break-up, I mean light distortion/overdrive that's defined enough for full chords.

Multiple-choice, recommend mods/other pedals I missed.

EDIT: wow, the SD-1 is 11/10 over the Monkey, even with the bass loss. :confused: And even though it's over $50, anyone wanna compare the Boss OD-3 to these two? Also, how's the jack & switch quality of the Monkey?

• Members

the Monkey does the job even if colouring a bit,

le Screaming Blues... well, I guess unless you play loud, no much differences, even with gain on max,

the LPB1 did it for me on my 12' Boogie DC2, but I found it didn't like 10' (like my VC15)

• Members

DS-1 stock is too heavy for what you want. After the Monte Allums tri-gain mod, it can be as light or heavy as you want (love that pedal) - I use it for a bit heavier drive than my TS-9, then crank up the gain with my foot to get a nice marshally distortion.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

EDIT: wow, the SD-1 is 11/10 over the Monkey, even with the bass loss.
:confused:
And even though it's over $50, anyone wanna compare the Boss OD-3 to these two? Also, how's the jack & switch quality of the Monkey?

The poll closes in a few days....

• Members

For light OD/Boost, it's really hard to beat the Bad Monkey. Compared to the other TS clones, the tone is much more "neutral".

For a little more gain, a modded DS-1 is the ticket. I replaced D4 and D5 (the clipping diodes) with LED's. It made a HUGE difference. Not a "buzzy" as before. A little less gain, but twice the output. Not a metal pedal by any means, but very usable.

Archived