I'm interested in the Roland Double Beat

super988man

• Members

Would love to hear some thoughts on this thing, maybe hear some samples by you guys since they're seemingly impossible to find. It looks related to the Shin-Ei Fuzz Wah but more filter-y in a Simply Saucer kind of way. I also hear about a bad volume drop?

• Members

yes, i love mine to pieces and everytime i plugged it in am amazed. it is a bit filter-y with the wah. i like the left fuzz mode as its a bit dark indeed. the middle is big muff territory and the right switch is fuzz face-y. it has aloooot of gain too, esp with humbuckers sounds like its going to explode. roll your volume knob back and it cleans up way nice. with the wah engaged there is a volume drop, id like to fix it too, but eh, its a cool piece. got it for like $90 4 years back in hiroshima. my biddy sold it to me for cheap.

i heard the gtr from white zombie used one and one other nu metal band had one. I like it more than my beebaa actually.

• Members

Yeah I saw your posts about it and I figured some of the more screeching SimplySaucer/Jesus&MaryChain fuzz sounds on your myspace had it! So Young is awesome by the way.

Thanks for your help, I'm definitely leaning towards buying one. My wah all the way down with a fuzz on is my favorite tone, so this sounds perfect for me.

• Members

Yeah I saw your posts about it and I figured some of the more screeching SimplySaucer/Jesus&MaryChain fuzz sounds on your myspace had it! So Young is awesome by the way.

Thanks for your help, I'm definitely leaning towards buying one. My wah all the way down with a fuzz on is my favorite tone, so this sounds perfect for me.

thanks. its alot more than that. some good classic sounds are there too. im surprised more people dont want this one.

AH! thats right, and the waves fall down around me on the myspace is the doubler beat run into a od-1. thats the wah sound with an ebow. i forgot, so theres your clip!

• Members

i would love to get one of these too... I've tried once at 30th street shop in NY and was amazed by it. but it was US$300... hmmm didnt have the money!

I have an old Ibanez Standard Fuzz wah and it is by far the nastiest fuzz I ever heard... too nasty to be honest, so that's why I would like something like double beat for a more usable sounds...

About the volume drop when wah and fuzz engaged i think that is normal and something to do with the way circuit is done... I read somewhere that happens because the wah circuit comes after the fuzz and that is normal... it's the same with the Ibanez one too!

btw, there is Roland Double Beat for sale at Vintage and Rare for

• Members

Gads they used to be dirt cheap, $75 on the bay all day every day. Then people heard that it was the live weapon of J from White Zombie and the prices shot up. Cool fuzz sounds, 3 of them in fact. Not like the Bee Baa, not really like the Shin-ei either, it is its own unique fuzz. The wah is very polite, not going to win awards for vocal-ness or throatiness, but not horrid.

• Members

i was playing around with it last night on the right, bright setting and it had some shin-ei esque tones in there with my humbucker 335. its got more than 3 sounds in there, cleans up lovely, can make a good clean boost as well. the wah is way synthy, and IS useable, its the just the boost when you switch it off...

• 7 months later...

Archived