Crazy Phaser/Modulators

super988man

• Members

I've never had a phaser, but I've been listening to stuff like Sonic Youth's Washing Machine and I'm really on the market for a weirder one. I'm definitely leaning towards the Flanger Hoax right now, despite all the complaints, and If I could afford it I'd definitely get a Mutron, but I'm wondering if there's any others I'm missing? Phasing/Modulation wise? The Roland phaser is another vintage one that looks rad and way too expensive. :(

Basically something tweakable and on the crazier side of phasers.

• Members

Kinda rare, but i bought a phaser that has subtle to diamond sea swirls. its called RFX Phase-o-vibe. Its a 2-in-1 pedal, a phaser and a vibrato (others have compared this pedal to a doppleganger). If you can find one used, you should get one.

i played that, it was good.

cheap side? try a boss ph1r. alot of good sounds in it..

• Members

The Hoax is weird, but like most tweaker's delights, it can be hard to get the same sound twice.

Weird phasers? The Sobbatt PB-2 can get wild, so can the new EHX PolyPhase, Cusack Tap-A-Phase, SubDecay Quasar, Moog 12 Stage, even the old Ibanez PH99. This is all from personal experince. The key is the resonance/feedback/regeneration controls.

The Red Witch is a very nice phaser as is the Shannon, but not weird. Same for most of the 45/90 and Stone clones.

• Members

i played that, it was good.

cheap side? try a boss ph1r. alot of good sounds in it..

Hey Sei. Congrats on your new band. Anyway, its the only modulation pedal i bring to jams. It has a lot of sounds in it. Its got everything i need for modulation.

• Members

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, this is kind of overwhelming! Does anyone know if the Mu Tron Phasor II is any decent? Goes on ebay for very little(compared to other vintage stuff) a whole lot! I know it's no Bi Phase but it looks pretty cool.

Edit: Also are the Pearl Phasers awesome like every other Pearl pedal supposedly is?

• Members

Those clips are pretty rad and they sound like what I want, but I think the Flanger Hoax can do that and more at this point. I'll be joining the hoax club soon I think
:thu:

Listen to a bunch of other phasers on Mode Zero though. Everything sounds the same from them because they just patch a computer sample through the pedal and back into the computer. I have no idea why but it makes everything sound similar and in many cases not a lot like the actual pedal.

• Members

Listen to a bunch of other phasers on Mode Zero though. Everything sounds the same from them because they just patch a computer sample through the pedal and back into the computer. I have no idea why but it makes everything sound similar and in many cases not a lot like the actual pedal.

Hahaha you're right. Some of these are pretty much the same exact sample. Get a blindfold on and it's a party game. NAME THE PHASER

• Members

Sounds like you wanna' Mutron.Well,they certainly started the swirly ball rolling but there's so much more available these days.Obviously the Infinityphase,sets the mark for twelve stage phase shifters,but unless you're a scientist,I'd suggest lowering the poll.Also a twelve'r,the unpleasant at higher volumes,Mooger Fooger is out.I personaly love 4ms pedals but the "Fleur' is too eratic for general useage.My Solution for effect complexity,user ability and absolute best tone of all the units;the six stage "Phantasm" by Toadworks.My second choice would be a Pigtronix.

• Members

The Lovetone Doppelganger2, no longer made, has 2 LFO's with one having a square wave and the other having a longer sweep time with high and low frequency Depth controls. Dan Coggins who designed the pedal expanded it's potential by telling us how to slow down the sweep time of the LFO's 5 minutes or more. So with the square wave LFO pulsing at a certain rate and moving along LFO2's slower rate or the 2 LFO's ever changing phase the DG2 is quite unique.

Info and Sound Clips

www.lovetone.com/doppelg.html

HC's Lovetone Lounge with LFO mod

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1218302

• Members

i just played at the weekend at home again with my ibanez pm-7 phase modulator. i dropped it from the board for my phase90 clone i built.

the pm-7 has different modes and stages and a lot of sounds in it and with the 4 knobs it is very tweakable.

i did some whacky stuff at home which the phase 90 can't do...

sure the tonelok series looks ugly, but its also cheap and you can get them nearly everywhere to try out.

Archived