Pedal for rock rhythm and smooth leads?

inkblot

• Members

I'm in the market for an OD or distortion pedal to make my Hot Rod Deluxe do things other than cleans. The drive channel(s) are very harsh sounding in the highs, too mushy/undefined in the low end and chordal clarity is poor once you get past ever-so-slightly distorted tones.

So I'm looking for a pedal capable of low to medium gain tones through the clean channel most likely, no need for more gain than hard rock like Rush (early albums). The distorted, full chords in Queen's Breakthru are the kind of rhythm tone I'm looking for. I don't want open chords to turn into muck at moderate gain. Some compression is ok however, like on the power chords in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

For leads I'm looking for smooth and full classic-rock type tone, definitely not something screechy or thin. Blues lead tone is not my thing, and neither is metal.

I'm not familiar with a lot of pedals just yet, and I realize I'm asking alot for one pedal. On the other hand, I don't want to have 3+ different pedals just for varying shades of dirt at this point. For the time being lets say budget around $200 or less. Some things I've considered but not yet tried include Radial Tonebone (probably Classic), Barber Direct Drive, Mi Audio Crunch Box / Tube Zone.

• Members

First thought was a Full-drive, but then after more consideration it seems like you want more of a light distortion opposed to an OD.

I +1 a Tube Zone, so versatile and they sound great.

and lastly, I would suggest a zVex Box of Rock. I think it sounds great for classic rock!. Btw, I have a Hot Rod Dlx (w/ new tubes, however) and the Full-drive and the Box of Rock sound GREAT with that amp. The Box of Rock makes me feel like I'm playing with a sweet Marshall half stack :D

• Members

I say it in every thread, just about, but give the rat a shot. Turn up that filter knob and it gets to be crunchy, yet still rather saturated.

+1

The ability to control the amount of gain without losing sustain just by using your guitar's volume knob is worth the price of admission. Keep the volume up and the gain low and I think you'll be pleased.

• Members

I agree. The RAT is great, but when I turn the FILTER knob up on mt RAT2, Its anything but crunchy. Its almost fuzzy. But I have an EQ in front of mine to boost mids, and it gets DELICIOUS crunch. FILTER knob at noon.

BUT, this doesnt even describe what you are looking for. But guess what? The RAT can probably do exactly what you are looking for, as it is an extremely versatile pedal. The FILTER knob IS the key. Turn it clockwise does not open up the highs like on other dirt pedals. It goes low. Counter clockwise goes high. SO many different sounds to be had from a RAT.

Archived