Sign in to follow this  
SirJackdeFuzz

Bands that use a lot of Hammond Organ in their sound

Guys, i wanted to ask this question for a very long time now !!!

Name me some bands (pref. in the Stoner rock direction) that use a lot of that sweet n' swirly Hammond B3 organ type sound in their recordings and live . . . :thu:

I know of Wolfmother, and if you listen closely, you will here (more than you thought) a lot in Steppenwolf's albums too !

Name away . . .

;)

Inspiral Carpets :o

Not exactly stoner rock but early Yes either with Tony Kaye or Rick Wakeman had Hammond by the bucketload.

Well the most obvious have been named here's the less ...

Spencer Davis Group

Soft Machine

The Zombies

The Doors ( Though a Farfisa or Vox Continental most of the time )

Small Faces

CAN

Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Manfred Mann

Sly & the Family Stone

Graham Central Station

Isley Brothers

Traffic

The Animals

The Nice

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Don't forget The Nice. All the same Emerson organ as with ELP, plus an actual guitarist in Davey O'List. Not so overblown and self-indulgent as ELP either, more Psych. Their version of "America" from West Side Story is awesome :eek:

Found this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk9Im9e78HE :freak:

There's also The Datsuns- no organist in the band, but lots on their s/t debut album. Not sure exactly what counts as Stoner Rock... :confused:

Stoner you say? Sounds like you want Spiritual Beggars. Ad Astra is probably the best place to start.

WOW . . .

. . . thanx to all that posted so far :thu:

If you guys can think of any more (NEW & old) please let us know !

One other group that i can think of right now is the Stoner Rock group, "Clutch". I have their album, "Jam Room" and there are bits of Hammond in there ! (...not enough for my liking, but hey it is THEIR record, not mine :D )

Keep 'em comming

;)

On the jazzier side, try Medeski, Martin & Wood. More electric piano, but some organ stuff. Also check out Charlie Hunter. He plays an 8 string guitar (3 bass & 5 gtr strings on one instrument) and runs the guitar side through a tube rotosphere for that organ sound.

On the jazzier side, try Medeski, Martin & Wood. More electric piano, but some organ stuff. Also check out Charlie Hunter. He plays an 8 string guitar (3 bass & 5 gtr strings on one instrument) and runs the guitar side through a tube rotosphere for that organ sound.

Good stuff! :cool:

And to add to the jam style stuff, String Cheese Incident. Kyle rocks a B3 and rocks it DAMN well.

try the The Mystick Krewe of Clearlight. its a side project of eyehategod and crowbar. good instrumental stuff based around the hammond

Hammonds are somewhere in the background doing melodies and such on most records.

Two recent bands that I can immediately think of with lots of organ are The Cardigans and Hot Hot Heat.

derek trucks band had a b3 player when i saw them a couple years ago, i can hear it on their records as well

the newest wilco cd (and some of their older stuff) has a lot of organ and strange keyboard sounds, if you're into that style