OT: Samplers - can you recommend one?

tenoken

• Members

Looking into getting a sampler for my live band set-up.

I want something I store at least 16 to 32 samples on, has easy access, and maybe some effects. I plan to use it primarily for funny sound bites and interludes between songs. Maybe some pre-recorded piano parts here and there.

The immediate thought is to go with a Dr. Sample. But I don't know anything about using them or which models are worth checking out. I see a bunch of 202's on eBay. Those are 4-note polyphonic where the newer model (303) is 8-note polyphonic. I'm not sure if that even matters to me though.

Any thoughts? What else is out there?

:wave:

• Members

laptop samplers are neat but sometimes getting the latency issues out of the way is a bitch if you don't have a good soundcard already. Add to that the cost of an extrnal trigger pad, and you're out of budget already.

But if you do have the cash to get a good external soundcard, Behringer and M-audio (i think) make USB trigger pads that can run a software sampler.

• Members

Try a Korg Electribe ES-1 (version 1 or 2, they are almost identical) or if you can stretch it get a Korg SX.

Another option would be to get an older Keyboard or rackmount sampler (akai 2000 or 3000xl, emu emax, ESI-32/4000 or 6400)

• Members

Aww man!

The electribes are fun. I used to own one a long time ago, but sold it to buy other gear. The new TUBE driven ones are killer. I tried one out in Sam Ash a while back. Insane power! The pads are fine, but I disliked the cheap feel of the knobs.

MPC's rock, but they is too professional for my application.

Archived