Your concept of tone

• Members

Theres alot of debate here about this and that (phasers,distortion,fuzz, etc.). So to help me put it into perspective. I thought everyone could name a few bands/artists that they listen too. It's hard for me to sort through 20 posts on phasers and determine what would be right for me, and since I live in a place with the bare minimum of high end guitar gear. It's a must that I rely on other peoples opinions along with the short .wav clips I hear on the internet. Whenever your talking about tone theres so many different perceptions on what is good and bad. For instance someone who listens to jazz is obviously going to disagree with a metalhead about what good tone is. So... What do you like?

1.Godspeed! You Black Emperor

2.Sonny Sharrock

3.Funkadelic (eddie hazel)

4.Built to Spill

5.Sonic Youth

Just a few...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

when i think of good guitar tone in relationship to effects pedals i immediately think gilmour. when i'm playing around with fuzz, phasers, delay etc. i kind of use that as a starting point. for a more recent example, i really like the guitar tones used by jeff tweedy and nels cline on the new wilco album.

• Members

I play hard rock and psychedelic/shoegaze/postrock.

Best hard rock tone ever - Adam Jones. Period. Big influence on the rock tones I seek.

-Mogwai

-Red Sparrowes

-Kyuss

-ISIS

very similar tastes to myself.

tool

neurosis

torche

mono

isis

i like big walls of noise and pretty, clean delays etc. adam jones has a very tasteful tone, neurosis have a warm, raw heavy tone with less gain than you'd think, torch rock the massive sounding single string string riffs, and mono and isis are masters of soundscapes and layers.

• Members

I saw Isis and Mono not to long ago. Both were good shows. There was a band named The Grails that toured with Mono that were cool too. I am not a big Tool fan but I read that Adam Jones doubles some of his root notes with one of those Moog bass pedals run through a virus. I thought that was a cool idea. I'm trying to convince my bass player to do that.

• Members

I saw Isis and Mono not to long ago. Both were good shows. There was a band named The Grails that toured with Mono that were cool too. I am not a big Tool fan but I read that Adam Jones doubles some of his root notes with one of those Moog bass pedals run through a virus. I thought that was a cool idea. I'm trying to convince my bass player to do that.

Listen to Reflection, and that is a good example of his use of the Virus.

• Members

I might get flamed for this, but I like John Mayer's tone. Live it was superb. I was listening to some of Led Zeppelin's BBC Session stuff, and I like Page's lightly distorted tone, like on stairway...maybe just cause it's Page, but it's like it's pure rock and roll

EDIT: I'm a church player, so I listen to a lot of United's stuff. I really like their guitarist's tone. His name is Michael Guy Chislett, and right now he's playing for The Academy Is...I don't know why though. On the United albums United We Stand and All of the Above, I think the tone is great, it probably is what mine most sounds like.

Archived