Any reggae fans?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

When I'm lookin' fer reggae, I usually check out the Trojan sets...Great comps.

Vocally, I prefer early Ethiopians, the Uniques, Ken Boothe, Gregory Isaacs. All could have found a home at Motown if'n here in the states. Plus the Skatalites.

Also check Linton Kwesi Johnson, (esp the album Bass Culture) from Britain. He's the definition of crucial, IMO.

So many more, but most of my faves come from the late 60's-early 70's (not so Rasta-inspired), and at the very least, they use real drums...

• Members

I have to disagree with that. Dub is a trance form of roots reggae where they mix a song with various ambient effects and usually leave out the vocals or just leave traces of them. Heavy bass lines and delayed rhythm guitar and percussion are characteristic of dub.

IMO, the best reggae came before '84 (more or less).

Some of my favorite reggae bands and some of their best albums:

-Bob Marley & the Wailers (get any '70's album)

-Peter Tosh (Equal Rights, Captured Live, Wanted Dread and Alive)

-Burning Spear (Marcus Garvey, Fittest of the Fittest + he's got some great dub albums as well) His recent work is also good.

-Culture (International Herb, Two Sevens Clash)

-Black Uhuru (Sinsemilla, Red, Positive)

-Steel Pulse (Handsworth Revolution, True Democracy)

I'll try to think of some more......

Spot on... too many misconceptions about reggae in here

• Members

The Studio One compilations by Soul Jazz Records are a good way to find "new" things...

I also have more than 40 of the Trojan 3-cd boxes, each box has at least one song that's worth buying the box :D

Some of my favs:

60's and early 70's stuff by: Lee Scratch Perry (Upsetters,...), Bob Marley (most of the pre-Island stuff)

early 70's Skinhead Reggae (nothing to do with racist idiots), the rhythm accents are a bit different

Barrington Levy

Archived