Any reggae fans?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some help pickin up some new reggae... I've been into reggae inspired music like the police for a while, and figured I should really look into the genre as a whole. I'm checking out Peter Tosh on a trusted recommendation as we speak... er... type.

What would you guys suggest for a good well rounded representation of what Reggae has to offer? I was told to check out Israel Vibration and Steel Pulse but I wouldn't really call that reggae, it sounds more like what I would call dub, but I did like them both

thanks in advance!

• Members

Steel Pulse is very much reggae.... dub is like ollllld shaggy, Shabba Ranks, General Grant, Lady Saw, etc... basically Dub is the precursor to Dance Hall....

Peter Tosh is so good stuff. There's Gregory Isaacs (not sure about the spelling of his last name)

• Members

^ there you go. reggae is kind of a broad term. when i think of reggae i think of 70's to 80's stuff, like bob marley (of course), later toots and the maytals, abyssinnians, and steel pulse. everything that has come since then has been loosley refferred to or sub grouped under reggae. lovers rock, dub, dancehall...etc. if you havent already listened to it, go ahead and get all the bob marley you can. pretty much everything he has done has been great. i listen to a lot of rocksteady and ska. i love 50's and 60's american music, and i discovered that much of the jamaican music from those eras is just as appealing to me. if you feel like listening to some reggae before it became political and was more soulfoul check out some ethiopians, alton ellis, the uniques, the techniques, and the melodians. if you want to hear some REAL ska that is fun and not goofy as hell check out the skatalites, early bob marley, justin hinds, and any of the trojan or treasure isle ska compilations.

Tim

• Members

.... dub is like ollllld shaggy, Shabba Ranks, General Grant, Lady Saw, etc... basically Dub is the precursor to Dance Hall.......

I have to disagree with that. Dub is a trance form of roots reggae where they mix a song with various ambient effects and usually leave out the vocals or just leave traces of them. Heavy bass lines and delayed rhythm guitar and percussion are characteristic of dub.

IMO, the best reggae came before '84 (more or less).

Some of my favorite reggae bands and some of their best albums:

-Bob Marley & the Wailers (get any '70's album)

-Peter Tosh (Equal Rights, Captured Live, Wanted Dread and Alive)

-Burning Spear (Marcus Garvey, Fittest of the Fittest + he's got some great dub albums as well) His recent work is also good.

-Culture (International Herb, Two Sevens Clash)

-Black Uhuru (Sinsemilla, Red, Positive)

-Steel Pulse (Handsworth Revolution, True Democracy)

I'll try to think of some more......

• Members

I have to disagree with that. Dub is a trance form of roots reggae where they mix a song with various ambient effects and usually leave out the vocals or just leave traces of them. Heavy bass lines and delayed rhythm guitar and percussion are characteristic of dub.

Thats whats called "Dub Plates"...... which basically is the music like you said with no vocals....normally producers would create them and have multiple dub/dance hall artists sing over them, essentially creating multiple songs but with the same music.... wasn't uncommon to buy a mix tape back in the day that had the same music in the background per side but each side had multiple unique songs from different artists..... still get them like that today here in Trinidad.

DJs would also use them from transitions between songs in the clubs.....

Dub or Rubba Dub.... is an evolution of Reggae and the precursor to Dance Hall

• Members

Agree that mookieunit has dub right.

trojan records will have enough reggae compilations to fill a lifetime of musical listening.

Also a huge +1. I'd check out more dub too if you're interested in lots of cool effects useage (space echoes, spring verb triggered by snare hits and triplet repeats). Plenty of things to choose from, including King Tubby and Scientist.

Enjoy. :thu:

Archived