Installing Schaller Strap Locks

puritycontrol

• Members

I'd try tht if i had the tools
:idk:

You really should spend the $30-$50 and buy a dremel kit or equivalent. It is a lifetime investment. Or go back to the store you bought the locks from and see if their tech dept can drill the straplock hole a bit bigger for you for free.

• Members

I've owned a PRS for years that has Schallers... and I put the screw in with a toothpick shim. Never had a problem with the screw coming out in years and years.... NOW, the nut on the other hand.... pain in my back end. No matter how tight you screw that bad boy on to hold your strap, eventually it comes loose and your guitar falls.

Worse part, is that the threads inside of the nut are a special "schaller" size, so if you loose the nut, there is no going to the hardware store to get a new one... I have even tried contacting Schaller for replacement nuts... my answer was to buy a whole new unit. Pretty lame.

SO!!! ever since I have switched to Grolsh beer gaskets. Cheaper, more reliable, and you catch a buzz while putting em on!

• Members

^^

What they said. I had a strap screw pull out of one of my guitars, and I used a 2 part epoxy to fill the hole. ***If you use this, you need to put the screw in before the epoxy dries.. like within a minute.. because the stuff dries so hard you would have a hell of a time getting it in afterward. It is pretty permenant, and won't be coming back out very easily (Which is what I wanted) I have the old school straps with the buckle type clips that hook the strap to the guitar... remember those things?

• Members

the nut on the other hand.... pain in my back end. No matter how tight you screw that bad boy on to hold your strap, eventually it comes loose and your guitar falls.

Yeah, they should have provided a lock washer. However, a drop of Loc-Tite on the threads cures the problem.

• Members

no love for grlosch bottle neck rings?
:cry:

Eventually your strap will wear out since you have to take it off and put it on the regular way all the time and make the whole ghetto rigged assembly wear out. Real strap locks are much more reliable as long as you check them once a month or so. People just like the beer washer trick because theyre free and people think its cool.

Archived