BOSS DD-20 or Akai Headrush E2 (looping content)

Daryl Chaney

• Members

im looking basically for a good looper without tempo guides/quantize {censored}e thats on the RC-20XL/RC-2 loopers (have both) it extremely difficult to use 2 at the same time.

I've got a DD-6, but its 5.2 secs looper is too short.

I've also tried the Line6 DL-4 and didnt like it, plus its too big and the only good setting was the looper function, not worth the money.

Boomerang is also too big and expensive.

So its the DD-20 or the Headrush.

1.) which does a better job at looping ? thats mainly what im buying it for.

2.) which has better *individual* delays, i'd prefer to have 1 great delay than 8 decent ones.

3.) which does tape echo simulation better ?? (cant justify paying so much for the boss re-20)

cheers !

• Members

i've used both and i think the e2 is better for looping. The looping time is also longer for the e2. The downside is that i've noticed the e2 had some hiss. This is not always seen with other people and so may be rig dependent. As for delay, they are pretty close. Both sound very good but the dd20 has 4 presets.

• Members

Yes, the E2 has an "undo" feature.

I'd get the headrush, since the DD20 only has sound on sound, which isn't exactly like a looper, since you can't turn the loop off, play a different part, and then turn the loop back on with the original sample again.

the headrush also has a good multi-head delay emulator, and a very accurate, positive-action tap tempo.

• Members

I'd say other, E2 is a better looper but I've heard that they aren't very reliable. I'd say you're better off waiting a bit and paying a bit more for a Stereo Memory Man.

I didnt get the Headrush :( , my bro was in NY but he didnt get a chance to get it.

Just watched that TERRIBLE gearwire video for the SMM w/Hazari

That thing is cool ! Im guessing its Digital though (it has to be), If theres an undo function on it i'd definatley get it over the Headrush, and i may still get it if theres no undo func.

But whatever i get will be nearly redundant cause i just discovered the Gibson Echoplex, now thats a looper ! I'll be bringing one back from Chicago in the Spring :D

• Members

can't you turn the quantize/tempo guide off on the RC20XL?

i hope so cause i wuz fixin to get me one

Yeah, there's a knob to turn the level of the Tempo Guide and you can just silence it that way. It won't quantize unless you set it up to beforehand, either.

Archived