Memo to HCFX dudes: Nova Delay is teh supers

NITEFLY182

• Members

Thats right. I bought one today and it is the single greatest delay I have ever played and thats not the honeymoon talking. This pedal sounds and works better than any delay I have ever played. The modulation sounds great and the multitap options are sweet too. The reverse delay is also better than the DL4 reverse which makes this pedal 1000 times better for the same price. Anyone need a DD3 or a DD5? I need to get a second Nova.

BTW - the adaptor is pretty small and the pedal input is 2.1mm so it will be really easy to cut about 3-4 feet off the adaptor cable to tidy things up and just add a new plug from effects connection.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Thats right. I bought one today and it is the single greatest delay I have ever played and thats not the honeymoon talking. This pedal sounds and works better than any delay I have ever played. The modulation sounds great and the multitap options are sweet too. The reverse delay is also better than the DL4 reverse which makes this pedal 1000 times better for the same price. Anyone need a DD3 or a DD5? I need to get a second Nova.

BTW - the adaptor is pretty small and the pedal input is 2.1mm so it will be really easy to cut about 3-4 feet off the adaptor cable to tidy things up and just add a new plug from effects connection.

thats rad nigheflyer!!! i just got a nova verb. the thought of the nova delay and verb together sounds like sex on a stick.

the only reason im not pulling the trigger is because i dont quite understand the modulation on the nova. can you describe in in detail for me :wave: or maybe some sound clips of what it does.... i love the modulation on the dd-20.how does it compare to that? is there diff types of modulation. can you add them to all the delay types? what kind of modulation types are there? etc etc etc thanks!

EDIT: one more Q. does the sting tap thing actually work well? seems kinds wonky to me.

• Members
thats rad nigheflyer!!! i just got a nova verb. the thought of the nova delay and verb together sounds like sex on a stick.

the only reason im not pulling the trigger is because i dont quite understand the modulation on the nova. can you describe in in detail for me
:wave:
or maybe some sound clips of what it does.... i love the modulation on the dd-20.how does it compare to that? is there diff types of modulation. can you add them to all the delay types? what kind of modulation types are there? etc etc etc thanks!

Sounds like someone's been making repeated trips to the Coffee Appreciation Thread. :eek:

• Members
I will agree.

Had my Nova for about two weeks now.

It is simple, yet versatile. Incredibly intuative.

Beautiful delay sounds. Has those no-click stomp buttons.

Delay trails off.

I'm loving mine! TC has done something great!

Everyone should use those footswitches! They are niiiice. Seems very high quality. :)

• Members

the only reason im not pulling the trigger is because i dont quite understand the modulation on the nova. can you describe in in detail for me
:wave:
or maybe some sound clips of what it does.... i love the modulation on the dd-20.how does it compare to that? is there diff types of modulation. can you add them to all the delay types? what kind of modulation types are there? etc etc etc thanks!

EDIT: one more Q. does the sting tap thing actually work well? seems kinds wonky to me.

The modulation is like a chorus effect and it can get pretty lush. The key is having the feedback past noon. Then the repeats get really really etheral which I love.

I didn't like the DD20 modulation much but I didn't experiment with it all that much either. Ill be the first to say that I never used that pedal to its full potential - mostly because I dont have a manual and I couldn't figure out how to adjust the modulation at all. No combionation of buttons semmed to get me into that part of the menu.

The string picking tempo is cool but I dont really see myself using it. It cuts the audio out when you do it so I dont see it being useful life when playing. Thats why tap tempo is so cool. You can just tap as you go.

How is the nova reverb compared to a Boss RV5?

• Members

Just a little.

Nitefly, are there any cons to the Nova over the DD-20? Your stamp of approval has me interested in this pedal now.

It takes 12v so you cant power it without a wall wart (supposedly the 12v brick types dont work...?)

I have a pedaltrain so I can mount a short strip underneath and package the power supplies nice and tight inside. I hate that I wont have power to my board with one cable but this about figures in since I have a juicebox and a PPII on my board already and those work on a single cable to the PPII.

I guess you could say that preset cycling on the DD20 is more basic but I dont change presets mid song... or ever really. I just retap the tempo since my needs can be very basic for live use.

Otherwise this is a smaller more low profile pedal with nicer switches and sounds. Plus it lights up in a much more space age way and it has a killer reverse delay. It also does 100% wet and a mix knob is infinitely better than a level knob on a delay. I dont see any reason for Boss to make the DD-20 any more... really.

• Members

I didn't like the DD20 modulation much but I didn't experiment with it all that much either. Ill be the first to say that I never used that pedal to its full potential - mostly because I dont have a manual and I couldn't figure out how to adjust the modulation at all. No combionation of buttons semmed to get me into that part of the menu.

If you're interested in knowing how to adjust rate and depth of modulation on th e DD-20, I believe that you have to hold down the left footswitch, and then you can toggle between "r" and "d" by pressing in the delay time button. The r(rate) and d(epth) are adjustable from 0-100, IIRC.

• Members

where did you buy yours? how much?

All the web shops are out of stock. I did what real people do. I went to a brick and morter store to buy one. It was great. I was in the sun. There was no keyboard to bog me down. I played a Tom Anderson that was really nice (and is probably going to mean $2800 gone from the old bank account). Oh yeah, I got a bagel too. Call around and see if you can find one. Thats the best way if you dont want to wait a month.

• Members

It takes 12v so you cant power it without a wall wart (supposedly the 12v brick types dont work...?)

I have a pedaltrain so I can mount a short strip underneath and package the power supplies nice and tight inside. I hate that I wont have power to my board with one cable but this about figures in since I have a juicebox and a PPII on my board already and those work on a single cable to the PPII.

I guess you could say that preset cycling on the DD20 is more basic but I dont change presets mid song... or ever really. I just retap the tempo since my needs can be very basic for live use.

Otherwise this is a smaller more low profile pedal with nicer switches and sounds. Plus it lights up in a much more space age way and it has a killer reverse delay. It also does 100% wet and a mix knob is infinitely better than a level knob on a delay. I dont see any reason for Boss to make the DD-20 any more... really.

Cool, thanks, man. I'll definitely have to try this one out sometime.

• Members

If you're interested in knowing how to adjust rate and depth of modulation on th e DD-20, I believe that you have to hold down the left footswitch, and then you can toggle between "r" and "d" by pressing in the delay time button. The r(rate) and d(epth) are adjustable from 0-100, IIRC.

Interesting. Im just as happy using a seperate chorus pedal which is usually much thicker and doesn't put the repeats out of tune with the dry signal. The Eventide puts the repeats out of tune but the nova just gets lush.

• Members

thnx for za info. so its just one kina of modulation huh :( a lush kinda chorus i gather?

haven't gotten the nova verb yet. in the mail. im thinkin of selling the RV-5. i dont know if i can part with the modulation setting on that pedal tho. LOVE it. everything else is quite good but replaceable. i have a verbzilla that im def going to sell tho ;). its really cool but i need the room.

another reason to buy the nova delay is the footprint. i had no idea it was so small. thats awesome!

The modulation is like a chorus effect and it can get pretty lush. The key is having the feedback past noon. Then the repeats get really really etheral which I love.

The string picking tempo is cool but I dont really see myself using it. It cuts the audio out when you do it so I dont see it being useful life when playing. Thats why tap tempo is so cool. You can just tap as you go.

How is the nova reverb compared to a Boss RV5?

Archived