Big Muff Pi question

chaosStrings

• Members

Hi !

I've decided to clone a Big Muff, but which one?

The schematics I've got are :

- the stock version

- the triangle version

- the green Russian version.

I'd like to know what are the differences between them soundwise (the only things I tried were a stock one and a black Russian, which sounded a bit more aggressive - I liked it a bit more).

And, just for my nOObish culture:

- what is the most famous/sought BM model?

- which one did/does Gilmour use (search function is kaputt on my browser :freak:) ?

Thanks!

• Members

The best ones IMO are the triangle knob version, the rams head and the green russian ones. They are all agressive, me thinks, the green one is really fuzzy, kinda chainsaw like.

Gilmor uses a white russian one, i think and the most sought after one is the triangle version.

• Members

The best ones IMO are the triangle knob version, the rams head and the green russian ones. They are all agressive, me thinks, the green one is really fuzzy, kinda chainsaw like.

Gilmor uses a white russian one, i think and the most sought after one is the triangle version.

the white one is the "big muff II" isn't it?

• Members

Socket the relevent resistors and transistors and try out all of them, even better, breadboard it and screw with everything and see what you come up with
:thu:

Best suggestion ever RE: BMP!

Its hard to pinpoint a specific sound with any specific old muff cause they vary a {censored}load.

• Members

Depends on what you want. The big NYC muffs aren't that aggressive. The new Little Big Muffs are super aggressive.

Hmmmm. . . I got a project idea. A Big Muff with scooped/flat/boosted mids switch and the ability to switch between green/ram's head/triangle transistor and resistor values.

• Members

Depends on what you want. The big NYC muffs aren't that aggressive. The new Little Big Muffs are super aggressive.

Hmmmm. . . I got a project idea. A Big Muff with scooped/flat/boosted mids switch and the ability to switch between green/ram's head/triangle transistor and resistor values.

Yay, another 400 dollar boutique pedal!

• Members

Thanks for the answers! :thu:

That was what I wanted to do, but seeing the number of resistors/capacitors that varies between the models a OnehundredandfiftyPDT is necessary ...:cry:

Maybe I'll try to do a mix between the Russian ad the stock, they are the most similar.

• Members
I can't believe that they've used the same transistors in all big muff iterations.

Socket them too. :thu:

I've seen at least three different schematics for triangle-era muffs, two for rams head (Gilmour) and one for green russian (that circuit looks very similar to the NYC reissues).

After a few attempts at creating the different versions I wasn't completely happy with any of them so I just came up with my own.

Archived