because theres always more folks that NEED to read this.....

L6Sguy

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

mixerman reads like a douchebag to me.

Just shut up and serve the talent like you're supposed to, don't let your inflated ego get in the way of doing the job.

Musicians are flakes, shocking, deal with it, quit whining.

maybe we werent reading the same thing, but where exactly was the job at hand gotten in the way of, or rather, gotten in the way of by MM's ego?

• Members

mixerman reads like a douchebag to me.

Just shut up and serve the talent like you're supposed to, don't let your inflated ego get in the way of doing the job.

Musicians are flakes, shocking, deal with it, quit whining.

LMFBO! These were always my favorite kind of posts when I was writing the diary. Thank you for another one!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Phil, he know's you and he says he thinks it's a compilation of various character/bands you've worked with.

No, I never said that definitively. I can see where that would be a possibility, because I've personally never had a series of sessions that were such a total and complete charlie foxtrot, but that shouldn't be taken as a definitive answer to what "actually" transpired.

I believe what I said was "some think it's a compilation of events from various bands / sessions, some think it's one of several commonly mentioned bands, and some think it's fictional" - something along those lines. And again, even if I did know for certain, why would I spoil the speculative fun others can have when they read it? I'm not into walking into a theater that's playing a movie I've already seen and shouting out what happens in the end either. :idk: YMMV.

MM says it's not fictional, so I'll take him at his word on that. And I do remember reading this when it was being posted for the first time, and can vouch for what he said about that too.

I can also tell you that you were incorrect about his identity Agreed. Sorry.

• Members

I can also tell you that you were incorrect about his identity Agreed. Sorry.

E-sleuthing step 1 failed.

Moving on to step 2: groveling.

Mixerman pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease tell us who you are

• Members

I think people should stop asking who he is. it could cause all kinds of trouble if he told, or if enough people dug deep enough that they actually find out.

his reputation is worth far mroe than our curiosity

• Members

People have said that Mixerman isn't a huge name guy, but has some decent credits. Which would seem to fit the story, since Willy Show was a really big name, and Bitchslap had liked Mixerman's work from smaller bands.

My sleuthing:

-he's based in LA

-he likes Dave Collins' work (i'd look for Dave Collins mastering on an LA based engineer's work that keeps on coming up together....not the easiest thing to piece together, but still is a clue). Of course, this is no guarantee that the two have ever worked together, but i'd check this out.

-likes tape and hates ProTools (Alsihad)

-likes indie bands/ indie band friendly

• Members

I read all of the six weeks over a couple of days couldn't "put it down" so to speak.

Hilarious and informative.

Even with the little experience I have in real studios, it boggles my mind some of the stupid {censored} that people do. Man I hate 'rock-stars' :facepalm: Though there is a little one in us all.

I wait with baited breath for a copy of the book to be available in Australia...

• Members

Come on, if it takes a few nerds like a week to discover the identity of boxxy, the annoying youtube wonder, then we should have no problem narrowing this down and finding out who is who.

Apparently, Mixerman's identity has been exposed, but the posts that say who he is are deleted on some forums. There's also people that claim that they know him, but actually don't.

• Members

I read it yesterday.

I thought he seemed like a two-faced jerk.

Definitely an interesting read, though.

if he was really as upfront as he claims to be in this fictional story then he wouldn't have to hide his identity, I get the feeling the real reason is he made it up. Any hard facts could be easily disputed by other parties. The point that no one has stepped forward to unveil who he is kind of re-enforces the fact that it's either an embellished collection of bits and pieces of stories he's heard over the years or completely imaginary. I mean this has been floating around for years, in this information age no one can keep the truth hidden for that long. :lol:

• Members
if he was really as upfront as he claims to be in this fictional story then he wouldn't have to hide his identity, I get the feeling the real reason is he made it up. Any hard facts could be easily disputed by other parties. The point that no one has stepped forward to unveil who he is kind of re-enforces the fact that it's either an embellished collection of bits and pieces of stories he's heard over the years or completely imaginary. I mean this has been floating around for years, in this information age no one can keep the truth hidden for that long.
:lol:

Considering we have had the names of CIA agents leaked recently, I'm going with this.

if he was really as upfront as he claims to be in this fictional story then he wouldn't have to hide his identity, I get the feeling the real reason is he made it up.

Nice theory, but there is another, far more realistic and likely alternative. :)

Being an engineer has aspects of a priest in a confessional to it. Or, if you prefer, Vegas. In order to make people feel comfortable in what is a naked and sensitive artistic process, we engineers tend to have a "what happens in the studio, stays in the studio" credo... at least some of us do. It's almost an unwritten law... if you want to keep working, then it's not really wise to bag on your previous clients, or make them look like idiots - even if they are idiots. So if you're going to write a entertaining book about how bad things can really get in a studio, then you might want to use an assumed name, and a fictional name for the band, and cover your tracks a bit.

Imagine how many former bandmates you know, and how many friends you have who are in bands, and their bandmates. IOW, think about every musician you know. Some are incredible, right? But be honest - many are not, or have serious "issues". Now multiply that a few times, because we probably see / work with a wider variety and number of bands than your typical musician "knows". Now what do you think the likelihood is that we'll run into some "interesting" characters in the course of our work? Toss in the label folks, groupies, crews, managers, girlfriends... you get the idea.

It's pretty rare that you'll read specific, highly negative comments from a specific, identified producer or engineer, about a specific musician or band they've worked with. Sure, you may find some that stem from a bad falling out, or some from an unprofessional "engineer" who doesn't know better, and occasionally you'll see some minor comments - "he was having a bit of a problem hitting the highest note that day, but because it felt great, we just autotuned it" or whatever... but you'll rarely see the real juicy stuff, like "Joe Rahquestar came in two hours late, shot up in the lounge and then proceeded to piss all over the console, while big name gospel artist was down the hall in the lounge with two hookers and an eight ball of coke..."

When I write about things that others should watch out for, or problems I've had, or whatever, I always make it a point to not identify anyone by name. To do that would be, at least to me, unwise.

There's also people that claim that they know him, but actually don't.

That's true.

I actually do know him, and I will never give up his identity, because I promised I wouldn't. People can believe that, or disbelieve it, and it doesn't bother me either way. :idk: It won't change the fact that he called me yesterday (we're currently playing phone tag), or persuade me to identify him in order to "prove" it, so don't bother asking folks. :p:D

IMO, people who take it that far with their curiosity, or for that matter, their false claims, need to get a life. :D

• Members
if he was really as upfront as he claims to be in this fictional story then he wouldn't have to hide his identity, I get the feeling the real reason is he made it up.

Nice theory, but there is another, far more realistic and likely alternative.
:)

Being an engineer has aspects of a priest in a confessional to it. Or, if you prefer, Vegas. In order to make people feel comfortable in what is a naked and sensitive artistic process, we engineers tend to have a "what happens in the studio, stays in the studio" credo... at least some of us do. It's almost an unwritten law... if you want to keep working, then it's not really wise to bag on your previous clients, or make them look like idiots - even if they are idiots. So if you're going to write a entertaining book about how bad things can really get in a studio, then you might want to use an assumed name, and a fictional name for the band, and cover your tracks a bit.

Imagine how many former bandmates you know, and how many friends you have who are in bands, and their bandmates. IOW, think about every musician you know. Some are incredible, right? But be honest - many are not, or have serious "issues". Now multiply that a few times, because we probably see / work with a wider variety and number of bands than your typical musician "knows". Now what do you think the likelihood is that we'll run into some "interesting" characters in the course of our work? Toss in the label folks, groupies, crews, managers, girlfriends... you get the idea.

It's pretty rare that you'll read specific, highly negative comments from a specific, identified producer or engineer, about a specific musician or band they've worked with. Sure, you may find some that stem from a bad falling out, or some from an unprofessional "engineer" who doesn't know better, and occasionally you'll see some minor comments - "he was having a bit of a problem hitting the highest note that day, but because it felt great, we just autotuned it" or whatever... but you'll rarely see the real juicy stuff, like "Joe Rahquestar came in two hours late, shot up in the lounge and then proceeded to piss all over the console, while big name gospel artist was down the hall in the lounge with two hookers and an eight ball of coke..."

When I write about things that others should watch out for, or problems I've had, or whatever, I always make it a point to not identify anyone by name. To do that would be, at least to me, unwise.

:bor:

• Members
ha! this has thrown me off a couple of times.

"I don't remember posting that..."

That's my point. I'm sure Phil will be happy to assist you in changing your nick to something less similar to mine, so as to avoid this kind of confusion for everyone involved. :idea:

Archived