because theres always more folks that NEED to read this.....

L6Sguy

• Members

Wow, this is one of the most entertaining reads I've had in ages. It's great.

Mixerman, have you considderd releasing a pdf as a piad download for the rest of the book? No printing costs and people like me on the other side of the world could get a copy easily....

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yeah, I interned in a studio in high school and even at that age I was AMAZED at the attitude of some folks and the characters that walked in. Maybe it's just the style of writing for me--I dunno, I don't consider myself easily bothered by insults and whatnot, but it felt like shooting fish in a barrel to me.

That's cool - not everyone digs my writing style either.
:idk:

I'm sure you learned that interns and seconds should only speak when someone asks them a question, and they should ask the first engineer before messing with their setups... I will say this though - regardless of nepotism or politics, if some intern or assistant messed with my carefully placed drum mikes, I wouldn't be as nice about how I reacted as Mixerman was - I'd break fingers.
;)

It really CAN be as bad as he describes. I don't know about MM, but what keeps me going through the crap sessions is the good ones - the ones where everything and everyone is "clicking" and magic is happening. The rush I get from that makes up for the crap - for the most part that is...
;):D

So you would out'Christian Bale Christian Bale? You're the antithesis of most people online whereas they're nice in real life and monsters online...

Mixerman, have you considered releasing a pdf as a paid download for the rest of the book? No printing costs and people like me on the other side of the world could get a copy easily....

And significantly easier to "share with a few thousand of your friends"... :(

If I was in his shoes, I don't know if a PDF file would be the way I'd want to go. It's much harder to copy a physical book, unless you're willing to spend a few hours with a photocopier. :lol:

I feel for you though... maybe it will be available via online purchase, and with international shipping. :idk: MM?

• Members

Somebody's nick is in my personal space.

I had horrific moments in the studio. Cripes. I had a hardcore band with one member that cut himself with razorblades in the control room for hours. That band didn't change their clothes or wash anything (including themselves) for the two weeks we spent together in the basement studio with no ventilation. It was total madness. I felt like I was descending into a sewer every day. Even when they weren't there, their lingering stench made me have to suppress a non-stop gag reflex.

• Members

this is an amazing read. the kitchen confidential of the recording world. it really shows you how frustrating thing can be when EVERYTHING goes wrong. i know a lot of people who would be turned off of this profession by reading this, but it doesn't phase me one bit. as cliche as it sounds, i want to be phil when i grow up!

• Members

just finished reading the online pages (ok i admit, i cheated; i skimmed on some lengthy narratives and focused on conversations - good stuff!).

funny ordeal (though not really). nice read. my eyes hurt.

is that really Lifehouse? seemed like them (idk, the original left, right?). they're my second fave band (next to Switchfoot), so *sigh*

:facepalm:

• Members
just finished reading the online pages (ok i admit, i cheated; i skimmed on some lengthy narratives and focused on conversations - good stuff!).

funny ordeal (though not really). nice read. my eyes hurt.

is that really Lifehouse? seemed like them (idk, the original left, right?). they're my second fave band (next to Switchfoot), so *sigh*

:facepalm:

I don't think it's them for the following reasons...

Their first album (No Name Face) was released in 2000, Mixerman "claims" to have written his diary in 2002.

There is a list of session musicians as long as your arm who played on that album.

I don't see Lifehouse's grass roots fans being the tattoo'd pierce'd mob in the book.

I can't think of any other reasons right now but I really would be surprised if it was them.

• Members

Their first album (No Name Face) was released in 2000, Mixerman "claims" to have written his diary in 2002.

There is a list of session musicians as long as your arm who played on that album.

I don't see Lifehouse's grass roots fans being the tattoo'd pierce'd mob in the book.

I can't think of any other reasons right now but I really would be surprised if it was them.

exactly what concerns me. Jason is a talented songwriter, and he band is tight. i cant tell though what had transpired during the last few years that they were together. good to hear it was not them if the time Mixerman wrote the diary were to be the basis.

• Members

love that albini piece.

That was who I was thinking it was, too, for some reason.

Edit: but Mixerman mentions living in LA, and Steve resides in Chicago. So, in all likelihood, not Albini. And I doubt that Steve would be able to endure this sort of thing--he's usually the main guy, usually not the in between guy on a recording.

I thought that it may have been Jack Endino too, because he mentioned to me that he recorded a band's major label debut in which they fought like mad and got into fistfights and had re-recorded/ worked endlessly on it. But he doesn't live in LA, either.

• Members

awesome read Mixerman!

a few years ago, I wanted a carreer change towards sound engineering. read a lot, even took workshops at thee mighty hotel2tango, etc. after a while, decided I wasn't patient enough to cope with the {censored} that can and will fly. I have gained tremendous respect for audio engineers with wha tthey do!

• Members

That was who I was thinking it was, too, for some reason.

Edit: but Mixerman mentions living in LA, and Steve resides in Chicago. So, in all likelihood, not Albini. And I doubt that Steve would be able to endure this sort of thing--he's usually the main guy, usually not the in between guy on a recording.

I thought that it may have been Jack Endino too, because he mentioned to me that he recorded a band's major label debut in which they fought like mad and got into fistfights and had re-recorded/ worked endlessly on it. But he doesn't live in LA, either.

nono, I meant that other thing albini wrote a few years back about major labels giving the business to bands they sign. someone posted it in this thread.

albini definitely a) is not in LA and b) would not have put up with this.

• Members
And significantly easier to "share with a few thousand of your friends"...
:(

If I was in his shoes, I don't know if a PDF file would be the way I'd want to go. It's much harder to copy a physical book, unless you're willing to spend a few hours with a photocopier.
:lol:

I feel for you though... maybe it will be available via online purchase, and with international shipping.
:idk:
MM?

True, I didn't really think of any of the other consuquenses of an online document.

***crosses fingers that international shipping will be available on the re-print***

• Members

Mixerman, have you considderd releasing a pdf as a piad download for the rest of the book? No printing costs and people like me on the other side of the world could get a copy easily....

It's being distributed worldwide.

As to the guy who doesn't like my writing style. That makes two of us!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

• Members

If you had read the original diaries as they were posted, you would know for a fact that they were written at the time. There were spots that I was actually responding to people on the internet, and I was even called on it. The first week of the diary was very rough. The first day I wrote in present tense. For the book I did heavy editing on that first week. I didn't change any of the content, what happened happened. It was more about writing style. I mean, you can actually tell that I became a better and better writer as the story progressed. At least I can, even with the editing.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

• Members

If you had read the original diaries as they were posted, you would know for a fact that they were written at the time. There were spots that I was actually responding to people on the internet, and I was even called on it. The first week of the diary was very rough. The first day I wrote in present tense. For the book I did heavy editing on that first week. I didn't change any of the content, what happened happened. It was more about writing style. I mean, you can actually tell that I became a better and better writer as the story progressed. At least I can, even with the editing.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Ok so it's not them.

A couple of things I find strange. Phil, he know's you and he says he thinks it's a compilation of various character/bands you've worked with.

The other thing is how did you find this thread? It's not like you post regularly on HCFX. Did someone tip you off or do you lurk internet forums in the hope someone will bring you up?

• Members

um, lets think about this for a second.

dude has an international book deal already brewed.

used to get 150,000 hits per day. presumably some of those "hits" are still online.

everything is titled under the name "mixerman."

how tough is it to tie all this together, and land it in this thread?

• Members

So on the Tapeop forums,

Maybe this has been discussed before, but a quick domain search for mixerman.net reveals this info:

Registrant:

mixerman multimedia, Inc.

PO Box 201475

Austin, Texas 78720

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (
)

Domain Name: MIXERMAN.NET

Created on: 11-May-04

Expires on: 11-May-15

Last Updated on: 31-Jan-09

Administrative Contact:

Mutschler, Jeff

PO Box 201475

Austin, Texas 78720

United States

5123412500 Fax --

Technical Contact:

Mutschler, Jeff

PO Box 201475

Austin, Texas 78720

United States

5123412500 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:

ns1.mmediahosting.com

ns2.mmediahosting.com

googling the name reveals:

- m media audio in Austin

So either good sir has registered using a person who is acting as a proxy, and that person just happens to own a recording studio, or...

Edit: Data is freely obtainable via http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp or another domain lookup service.

Archived