because theres always more folks that NEED to read this.....

L6Sguy

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Bitchslap'd.
;)

:eekphil:

Correct - I am NOT Mixerman. I DO know who / know Mixerman. NO, I will NOT reveal his identity to anyone. It's only a thin "secret" at this point, but I gave my word, so no matter how easily people can figure it out, they're still not going to get the name from me.
:o:)

:thu:

c

• Members
So, how you like the L6-S? That's a big piece o' wood

its definitely a bit wide-bodied, but its a slab cut like an SG depth-wise (maybe even a hair thinner), and its got a little contouring. 'cept its more fendery-feelin. kinda. :freak:the story/details are kinda interesting; i'd love to have seen/played the 'real' one.

mine, a 74, plays quite fendery with a pretty shallow neck, but with typical gibson wide/flat low-set frets. playable enough so that theres no finish on much of the back of the neck or the fretboard. somebody played the bejesus out of it before i got it, and then i did another 5+yrs heavy gigging with it. its a comfy neck to play.

sounds sorta tele-ish unplugged, in that it rings and has that cut, but its got a totally different mid/bottom end from that. collision between sg & tele is where i'd put the sonic reference point.

i'm guessing at just about 7ish lbs, give or take a few oz.

L6S2a.jpg

and another bump for mixerman!

voxmobile.jpg

dh2.jpg

• Members

Weird, I always thought an L6-S was a really huge jazz-box kinda thing. You know, one of those big ol' hollowbody guitars with humbuckers that you always wonder how it would sound with a twin reverb cranked to 10 running out of a gas generator out in the desert to keep the feedback down. That's what I always imagined anyway.

And BTW, nice lookin' Mesa there. I've always been intrigued by old mesa amps, they have a certain mystery to them that I can't quite pin down.

• Members
oh man.well some people thought it was the band nine days.some thought it was the ataris.some thought it was lifehouse.

ill agree that several parts of the story are funny,but if i remember correctly most of it made me livid.

as long as you remember enough of it so that you're never that guy (Cotton, etc), or turning that special knob, you're doing well enough to get out of bush league. that should make you happy :D

i also thought the part about new socks every day was pretty brilliant. like Pulitzer-brilliant.

• Members
Weird, I always thought an L6-S was a really huge jazz-box kinda thing. You know, one of those big ol' hollowbody guitars with humbuckers that you always wonder how it would sound with a twin reverb cranked to 10 running out of a gas generator out in the desert to keep the feedback down. That's what I always imagined anyway.

And BTW, nice lookin' Mesa there. I've always been intrigued by old mesa amps, they have a certain mystery to them that I can't quite pin down.

aha -- likely the L6, part of the L-series (L5, L4 iirc). the name - L6-S - was in refence to the same shape of the top of the guitar, but the -S denoted solid-body. if i'm not mistaken, theres an L5-S out there as well.

the 'mesa' is actually carvin's take on it, an x100b in living room-safe mode. as a 1x12 at 78lbs :eek: its as much a piece of furniture as an amp. i'd love to score a mark one day; this thing just showed up one day when i wasnt even amp hunting.

• Members

the 'mesa' is actually carvin's take on it, an x100b in living room-safe mode. as a 1x12 at 78lbs
:eek:
its as much a piece of furniture as an amp. i'd love to score a mark one day; this thing just showed up one day when i wasnt even amp hunting.

Huh, I guess the graphic eq fooled me. I almost bought an x100b head a few years back, I heard it was used on the first System of a Down album and thought it would make a cheap solution for brootalz gainz :freak:

• Members
Huh, I guess the graphic eq fooled me. I almost bought an x100b head a few years back, I heard it was used on the first System of a Down album and thought it would make a cheap solution for brootalz gainz
:freak:

oh yeah, the decor wasnt by mistake, i dont think. i've heard that the several-yr absense of this specific model (the oak box combo) was because of some threatening letters/actions from mesa (trade dress, etc).

while its not teh brootalz on its own (think hot-rodded jcm800ish gain levels), with any boost/drive put in front, one can then start using adjectives like "bone-shattering" and "crushing." then using the dual eqs, infinitely more flavors of skull-splattering and spine-smashing can be conjured up. :rawk:

• Members
knob, you're doing well enough to get out of bush league. that should make you happy
:D

i also thought the part about new socks every day was pretty brilliant. like Pulitzer-brilliant.

i reread it last night.mixerman psted a few times about it back in the day on the 97X forum.i was correct,the parts that made me livid were the parts about the weasel.i was appalled the first time i read that mixerman took a job without AGREEING to be on film pre-job.shady.If there is anyone i wish i knew the identity of though,it would be willy show.i could sereiously get along well with a producer who smokes fatties like theyre camel wides:cool:

since you dont mind bumping this thread about your own gear,how is your 01 series chorus? i have the comp from the series and love it.i would love to get my hands on the tube-screamer in that series as it apparently is double-chipped:love:

nice l6-s too btw.i have an old es-335-s firebrand back at my parents house thats needs a fret job.the comment about a nice hunk of wood couldnt be more true of either.great axes

• Members

Well, I read all six pages. I found it both very funny and quite sad at the same time. I would like to read the rest. I hope Mixerman remains a mystery, the record was a hit and he made his money.

Thanks for the post it was very enlightening. :cool:

• Members

the bc-01 is a great, great chorus. same as the ibanez bc-9 (and presumably not too far from the 10-or L-series bimode). i'd expect all the -01 stuff to be cool.

a 335-s?? i dont think i've ever seen one. i'm sure that one is a pleasure to play!

• Members

the bc-01 is a great, great chorus. same as the ibanez bc-9 (and presumably not too far from the 10-or L-series bimode). i'd expect all the -01 stuff to be cool.

a 335-s?? i dont think i've ever seen one. i'm sure that one is a pleasure to play!

the firebrand series had a 335-s,an SG and an LP.they look quite similar to yours,except the gibson logo was done to resemble a cow-brand.oddly enough,the used prices on them are cheaper than what i think they should be.ive seen the LP and SG go for 450 sometimes.i believe they were from the early 80s.

• Members

oh, 6 weeks =six pages? sorry, when i was reading it in real-time several yrs back (daily updates), it appeared to have been some 30+ pages.

the entourage travels to NYC, records a potential hit about the cunty gf of Willy or label president, lance is a bass god, lotsa stuff.......

• Members
oh, 6 weeks =six pages? sorry, when i was reading it in real-time several yrs back (daily updates), it appeared to have been some 30+ pages.

the entourage travels to NYC, records a potential hit about the cunty gf of Willy or label president, lance is a bass god, lotsa stuff.......

I must find a copy..............funny stuff for sure. :)

Archived