because theres always more folks that NEED to read this.....

L6Sguy

• Members

posted several years back, this is the day-to-day diary of Mixerman, an anonymous engineer/mixer who also served as moderator over at prosoundweb.com forums. the reason for the diary is that he was contracted to do some engineering for a band's major-label debut, but said band had also been the subject of a major bidding war = stakes are high.

so mixerman, being the kind soul he is, thought that to post the daily activities/etc for the forumites would give a great 'on the job' sorta view. 6 weeks of recording, some songwriting, some drama. a smashed window into the engineering booth :eek: no names were given, all aliases.

i cannot emphasize enough how crucial this read is, not from a 'use this compressor/mic/software' POV, but from a band, music, recording studio, etc POV, i've never seen nothing like it, nothing so compelling even.

you'll likely piss yourself laughing, but you'll also be a wiser bandmate in the future :thu:

the mixerman diaries

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you're kidding, right
:confused:

its not like reading a recipie, theres a story, characters, and an absolute armful of educational material.

the content makes it worth it.

I don't read anything that isn't about spaceships....

Or... i'm at work and will give it a shot later

• Members

It's not Phil, but he knows who Mixerman is.

You can figure it out too, and it's easy. Remember that Google is your friend. At one point, they even had the suspected Mixerman dude's discography, and there's at least one skeleton in his recording closet.

As for the band, at least one person has come out to claim that he was in the recording session, but he did not name the actual band. I think it's a composite of events from various recording sessions.

Is the book available again? I wanted to buy it but I think he ran out of the first run.

c

It's not Phil, but he knows who Mixerman is.

Correct - I am NOT Mixerman. I DO know who / know Mixerman. NO, I will NOT reveal his identity to anyone. It's only a thin "secret" at this point, but I gave my word, so no matter how easily people can figure it out, they're still not going to get the name from me. :o:)

As for the band, at least one person has come out to claim that he was in the recording session, but he did not name the actual band. I think it's a composite of events from various recording sessions.

I have always thought that this was the case, although I have never confirmed that with MM. But even as a veteran of thousands of recording sessions, and having personally seen many examples of similar events firsthand, I have never worked on a single project that incorporated so many examples of things at their worst; so many things going so drastically wrong with one single project. Thus while I suppose it could be a true accounting of one band, one project, I tend to lean towards the "composite" theory.

Is the book available again? I wanted to buy it but I think he ran out of the first run.

c

I don't know if it's available again in book form or not - sorry.

• Members

It's not nearly as funny, but another thing that should be required reading for anyone interested in pursuing music as a career.

I'd rather deal with a major/indie label than a Medici Pope who had people assassinated in church. Ask Mozart/Beethoven/Bach about writing music funded by insane, Syphlytic Royalty and Clergy.

Archived