I'm looking for the best Fuzz for bass...

BTBAM

• Members

So I'm looking for a great bass fuzz for my bassist. He wants a z.vex mammoth, but refuses to spend more than 250 for one...and I cant find one used for him, so I figured I'd look for others. When I run my octron into my mayo, I absolutely love it. Has anyone else experienced good stuff with a mayo and a bass? Are there any big muff pi's w/ mods specifically for bassists? Please give me some input....pics of some...and prices as well.

• Members

I use the USA big muff. It's mean as hell and keeps all the low end I need. Green big muff is good too but not quite as aggressive.

Pickups make a HUGE difference when you put fuzz on a bass. Anything with active pickups probably isn't going to sound good

• Members

I know he doesn't want to spend the money but I have to agree that in the long run the Mammoth is gonna be his best choice!

I tried it all and Mammoth won by miles. Only one I didn't try is the bassmaster...but the mammoth is more of a big muffish type sound, which is my personal fav on bass. Also, some of the cheaper fuzzes can sound fatter if you run an envelope filter after it with a medium speed.

• Members

Sorta OT: what's the sound difference like between the Big Muff pi, the little big muff and the Russian ones? I have the Big Muff but havn't played the others.

I don't remember playing the russian, but I did once. I can't remember what it sounded like, but it didn't have the same "smashing a baby's head on the kitchen floor" umph to it. It was a little less fuzzy.

Apparently the LBM is like a cross between the two. I used it awhile back and it sounded pretty close to my big muff, I don't think it'd be worth getting one if you already have a normal big muff.

• Members

I sold my Woolly Mammoth on Ebay Aug 30. Winning bid was only $243. Where were you!
:)

It sold for 253...I bid 250 and someone snipe me. I tried putting in 270 and it was too late. I watched that ever since you put the thread up here a week ago. I was super pissed.

Archived