whats a cheap dumble like pedal?

Coolie No.1

• Members

honestly i can see myself paying 300-400 bucks for a pedal and even if i would i would not wait 6 months to 1 year for a pedal.

What are some cheap alternatives?

:wave:

Barber Direct Drive, Barber Small Fry, MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe are well priced and get ya close.:wave: Always ready to help.

• Members

honestly i can see myself paying 300-400 bucks for a pedal and even if i would i would not wait 6 months to 1 year for a pedal.

What are some cheap alternatives?

The one Robben Ford uses with his Fenders, when he does NOT take his Dumble on the road is a Hermida Zen Drive.

• Members
a little ice magic no doubt.
:)

Humbuckers, A Super Reverb, Pull pot out, Treble @ 2 gain @ 2, Neck P/u, roll off tone knob @ guitar, Use volume knob as needed as You will raise the level of pedal to noon or more. Works great in the middle P/U with a Strat too. Dumble? No less expensive sub?? I think so!

• Members

You are right, I mentioned the pedals I did though cause the Zen is more cash and harder to obtain. I can pull some D type tones with a MI Audio BBD, Really!

I hear ya. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but like anything I guess, how close you want to get usually amounts to $$$. I've gone through that myself, for years convincing myself that I had a particular tone down, until, I A/B'd it against the real deal and then I was like oh crap, I guess I don't have it down, then suddenly- Just like that, close enough was never so far away, forcing me to sell vital organs to purchase a fix for the gear/TONE addiction.

Be cool Ice ;):thu:

• Members

I hear ya. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but like anything I guess, how close you want to get usually amounts to $$$. I've gone through that myself, for years convincing myself that I had a particular tone down, until, I A/B'd it against the real deal and then I was like oh crap, I guess I don't have it down, then suddenly- Just like that, close enough was never so far away, forcing me to sell vital organs to purchase a fix for the gear/TONE addiction.

Be cool Ice
;):thu:

Words of wisdom, As far as Robben and Carlton are concerned they can make a Crate sound like a Dumble!

• Members

The HAO Rumble Mod is a pedal that was built to clone the gain stacking of a Dumble (Note the name "Rumble"). Check out the reviews here on it, except for the 2 individuals who gave it 1's across the board (????), it averages around 9 on sound. It actually is a very cool pedal, just a bit fussy, it reminds me of a vintage Dallas-Arbiter FF where turning the knobs slightly have a huge impact on the sound. Most people crank the knobs and give up, but there are sweet spots that once you hit them, just leave it and seriously through my Les Paul into a Carr Rambler or a 69' Fender BF Twin Reverb, it nails the larry carlton tone.

Good news is they are affordable and although I have never played an ethos, at least with these pedals, you can find them. In fact, I have 2 of them and looking to sell one. Check it out and let me know if you any questions.

• Members
The HAO Rumble Mod is a pedal that was built to clone the gain stacking of a Dumble (Note the name "Rumble"). Check out the reviews here on it, except for the 2 individuals who gave it 1's across the board (????), it averages around 9 on sound. It actually is a very cool pedal, just a bit fussy, it reminds me of a vintage Dallas-Arbiter FF where turning the knobs slightly have a huge impact on the sound. Most people crank the knobs and give up, but there are sweet spots that once you hit them, just leave it and seriously through my Les Paul into a Carr Rambler or a 69' Fender BF Twin Reverb, it nails the larry carlton tone.

Good news is they are affordable and although I have never played an ethos, at least with these pedals, you can find them. In fact, I have 2 of them and looking to sell one. Check it out and let me know if you any questions.

The Hao is great, some find it a little tricky to use, but once it get's dialed in!! Prolly a lil more $$ than he was looking to spend BUT indeed a great pedal!:thu:

• Members
Jetter Gain Stage Red is a GREAT choice and there's no waiting period, though, at $225.00 it may not be in the range you're looking for. The Zendrive is also KILLER but you'll either have to pay throught the nose on FleaBay or pay $169.00 for a new one and wait a year. The Ethos OD is a long wait at $395.00 but the clips sound amazing. These are the Dumbl-est that I've heard. Bear in mind I'm no expert on Dumbles but my CD collection has at least 10 that I know were done with Dumbles. Also bear in mind that Dumbles are custom tweaked amps and they all sound different. What they share is the big Fender-ish clean tones, the super-smooth OD, the huge bass response, and that they are tremendously touch-sensitive (all that from a circuit based on the Twin Reverb)

Archived