Alesis Micron ..can it be used as a midi controller?

• Members

Okay, I am a guitar player who is not very good with synths. I have a Yamaha EX5 but hardly know how to create programs (I only use it for piano and real instrument sounds along with the performance mode, so I don't need any crazy synth creating skills).

So, I bought a Macbook and am having TONS of fun with garageband. I wanted to get a midi controller to be able to mess around with it some more. Even before I got the mac, I was looking at purchasing an Alesis Micron (or the Korg Micro X) for my portable, ambient sounds (Key word here is portable, otherwise I would just use the EX5). Can the Alesis (or maybe the Korg) be capable of acting as a midi controller?

• Members

With the MicroX you really would not need the computer!

wait, what do you mean by this? Are you saying that I could import stuff from the garageband and save it to the microx??:eek:

or are you saying that the microx has the same cool stuff as garageband (minus the piano and a few other settings?)

• Members

IIRC, Micron default messages ar NRPN, so they are not the standard CC midi. I guess you could use software like MIDI-OX or something similar to translate to CC. I'm also not sure, but I think Alesis has adressed this in a recent system update. In any case, I heard people complain at the Yahoo group that even when they try to use it as a controller, the knob turns only covers 0-100, so it's not the full midi range. Visit the Yahoo group for more detailed info about this.

• Members

IIRC, Micron default messages ar NRPN, so they are not the standard CC midi. I guess you could use software like MIDI-OX or something similar to translate to CC. I'm also not sure, but I think Alesis has adressed this in a recent system update. In any case, I heard people complain at the Yahoo group that even when they try to use it as a controller, the knob turns only covers 0-100, so it's not the full midi range. Visit the Yahoo group for more detailed info about this.

no, after some OS update, Alesis made it so that the default messages are CC.

the micron would be a good portable *stand alone synth*. I'm not sure about it being a good portable *controller*. What do you want to do with a controller? Just play keys? Then yes, a Micron is fine. But if you want to control GarageBand or any other DAW software (or any software synth even), then I recommend something else with more knobs and/or sliders.

The Novation X Station looks like its right up your alley.....

• Members

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Ion instead of the Micron?

you mean they didnt do that for both? I have an ION, and after updating the OS, all the knobs now send CC as default, which is good. Why they wouldn't do that for the Micron is beyond me....

• Members

Your opinion is officially wrong!

Aside from a lack of hands-on tweakability, the Micron is a good synth. It has all of the capabilities of the Ion plus a nice step sequencer and they are NOT mini keys.

:D:rolleyes: yeah, that's the Microkorg that has the small keys. Micron is much more normal.

I agree that the Novation X-station is a good call. I have the 49-key version and like it lots. :) It will give you a lot more control than the Micron will, and also has a built-in audio interface. That means you can plug your x-station into the PA, hook it up to the computer, and your garage band instruments will play through the same output as the x-station patches. This saves you from hauling around another box. :thu:

You might also look at the Xiosynth (also Novation) which is less powerful, but perhaps easier for a non-synth person to deal with.

I think either of these would be better than the Micron for your application. If you're interested, NovaMusik currently has a bunch of rebox X-stations available with some pretty steep discounts. :eek: (Remember that rebox can be risky though.. I had to exchange the first unit I got. :arg:) good luck!

• Members

Aside from a lack of hands-on tweakability, the Micron is a good synth. It has all of the capabilities of the Ion plus a nice step sequencer and they are NOT mini keys.

Yes it's a great synth, but weren't we judging its viability as a controller?

• Members

ya - two separate things.

The Micron is a fantastic synth, (with standard size keys).

As a controller, it leaves a lot to be desired. That's why Alesis has a separate line of controller keyboards:

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=15

They're pretty cheap too. Nova's got the photon 25 for $99, the photon-x (audio interface keyboard) for $199, and a package deal with the regular photon and the Waldorf edition software for $155.55

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=3380

• Members

If one of my facts is wrong, sorry. I read somewhere on the forum that the Micron had smaller than standard keys. It's a good synth, but I still wouldn't recommend a Micron as a good MIDI controller, especially on stage.

My opinion is my opinion--we all are entitled to one of those. :)

Archived