Need Advice - Digitech or Boss?

rycon

• Members

I am a beginner guitar player and am looking for an inexpensive multi-effects box. I have looked at the Digitech RP200 and the Boss ME20. Which one is better? (keep in mind the Boss is $100.00 more) If neither of these are good, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

I would either get a cheeap Digitech multi or a handful of Behringers and Dano's.

I have never played with a boss multi, but if I were you I would save the extra cash it would cost, you will need it if you become obsessed with these things and start convincing yourself that $250 fuzz pedals *ARE* a good idea.

• Members

I would still go with the gnx3 over some cheap single pedals. Either way you are going to want to upgrade later, but the multi effects are going to give you a wider range of sounds and i think you would get more use from them

And definately buy from the spam thread here or on ebay. You can score them for pretty cheap

• Members

Buying individual FX is more fun! Reconsider. Start with a quality box that really intrigues you, but does one thing really well, and grow to love it. I would never recommend a multi-FX unit to a beginner. It's too overwhelming, too complicated, and too much too soon. My $.02.

this guy's right. if you have that many sounds at your disposal, you might end up being an idiot with them. i know i would if i had that at the time.

what kinda music do you listen to

• Members

Cheap multi-fx and multi-fx in general aren't very fun. They are like toys you get bored with quickly. Plus they don't really help your playing or help you learn FX.

For me at least, to truly learn how to use an effect, I've got to own a good one for a long time, and get past the stages of effects usage.

• Members

Cheap multi-fx and multi-fx in general aren't very fun. They are like toys you get bored with quickly. Plus they don't really help your playing or help you learn FX.

For me at least, to truly learn how to use an effect, I've got to own a good one for a long time, and get past the stages of effects usage.

yeah, going from a one knob flange on an amp's DSP to a flanger hoax would be like riding a big wheel and upgrading to a hummer.

• Members

you'll likely do far better buying an amp to do an amp's job, and fx to do fx' job. now thats an extreme generalization, and also dependent on a lot of other stuff, but as a general rule to follow, i;d say its safe.

cue: JC fans

• Members

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am new at all this stuff and lots of info really helps!!! Since we're on this topic, is it better to get an amp without modelling or effects and go with seperate pedals?

As L6S said, yes, as a general rule. I'd say you're less likely to sell off your equipment on eBay if you purchase a dedicated, classic piece of gear that speaks to you. My first piece of gear was a 1983 U.S.A. Fender Bullet that I bought new when I was 13 in 1983. I still use it, 24 years later. In 1992 I bought a 1968 Silverface Fender Vibro Champ as my first decent amp. I still use it 15 years later.

I'm not necessarily pushing vintage or Fender. Just go with something that is inspiring to you, or something that you predict that you can grow with.

• Members

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am new at all this stuff and lots of info really helps!!! Since we're on this topic, is it better to get an amp without modelling or effects and go with seperate pedals?

I would say it's definitely better to go with an amp without modeling or effects. Separate components can be mixed and matched easier. Also, keep in mind that tube amps are much louder per watt than a solid state amp. For example, a 15 watt tube amp will probably put out a more sound than a 30 solid state amp (and sound better also). Crate, Tranyor, Fender and Peavey all make moderately priced tube amps.

Archived