OT: dredg appreciation thread.

OldCrankyDouche

• Members

{censored}, I love these guys. Been a fan since Leitmotif.

Leitmotif is such a raw/heavy album with awesome melodies and guitar playing.

Catch Without Arms and El Cielo are not QUITE as heavy, and the singer "sings" quite a bit more. Both albums have been seeing heavy rotation as of late.

Couple vids. The second is my fav.

Ode to the Sun:

Canyon Behind Her: (Soundboard, but the volume could use a boost)

Enjoy!

• Members

{censored}, I love these guys. Been a fan since Leitmotif.

Leitmotif is such a raw/heavy album with awesome melodies and guitar playing.

Catch Without Arms and El Cielo are not QUITE as heavy, and the singer "sings" quite a bit more. Both albums have been seeing heavy rotation as of late.

Couple vids. The second is my fav.

Ode to the Sun:

Canyon Behind Her: (Soundboard, but the volume could use a boost)

Enjoy!

Dredg is great, mister Bastid!

• Members

yeah dredg is great, i love leitmotif, and definitely their best work, although i do enjoy the other 2 cd's, saw them a while back, when catch without arms came out, but they played some sweet classics like yatahaze, and cant remember what else, i actually got their set list and had them all sign it, but i don't even know where it is now :(

oh and when i saw them, they were touring with this other band, Circa Survive.... i didnt know them before that show, but OH MY GOD i fell in love with their music right there. they have an EP called the inuit sessions, and its good, but their master work is Juturna, then they released another cd, but it wasnt that great

check them out!

• Members
yeah dredg is great, i love leitmotif, and definitely their best work, although i do enjoy the other 2 cd's, saw them a while back, when catch without arms came out, but they played some sweet classics like yatahaze, and cant remember what else, i actually got their set list and had them all sign it, but i don't even know where it is now
:(

oh and when i saw them, they were touring with this other band, Circa Survive.... i didnt know them before that show, but OH MY GOD i fell in love with their music right there. they have an EP called the inuit sessions, and its good, but their master work is Juturna, then they released another cd, but it wasnt that great

check them out!

Nope. Cant dig the singer. Music was ok. I checked out the "Act Appalled" video. Thanks for the recommendation though.

• Members

Yep. And I think that they could succeed on the radio and MTV, but for some reason they havent. Thank Bob for that.

They're one of those bands that are not really underground yet haven't crossed over completely. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as they're doing well for themselves. In the long term, they'll get their due, I think.

• Members

wow i haven't listened to dredg in almost 4 years, el cielo was a great album, but i haven't listened to them since then.

"Catch Without Arms" is a great album, though it is a bit more radio-friendly, if that might bother you.

It's still really creative, and the production/musicianship is still top shelf.

• Members

yeah circa survive's singer is kinda hard to get used to, but i like it :), oh and i should've done some recommendations :o if you still wanna give it a try listen to "holding someones hair back", "wish resign" "in fear and faith" just to mentio a few... wish resign is my favorite :o

anyways back to dredg, yeah it's kinda weird how they arent really underground, but havent made it big yet, i guess it comes down to how the label promotes them, cuz i remember they came to el paso on the taste of chaos (or some {censored} like that) tour, the headliners: dredg and deftones, and a lot of {censored}ty bands like atreyu or something like that, bunch of screamo, emo, hardcore type of {censored}.... good openers for deftones, but dredg was so out of place

• Members

Oh man I am a huge fan of dredg. I first saw them right after 'Catch without arms' was released and have been all about them ever since.

They were playing a show with coheed and cambria, the blood brothers, and mewithoutyou when I first saw them.

They are really talented at using a ridiculous amount of random cool things and making it all click. Like I don't know the song, but the singer pulled out a trumpet and had a trumpet solo.. and it wasn't out of place or awkward at all because it just clicked.

• Members
They are really talented at using a ridiculous amount of random cool things and making it all click. Like I don't know the song, but the singer pulled out a trumpet and had a trumpet solo.. and it wasn't out of place or awkward at all because it just clicked.

Perhaps the song you're thinking of is "Whoa is Me" off "El Cielo"? One of my favorites from them.

I agree with your point that they incorporate a lot of disparate elements and fit them into a unique sort of coherence. They seem like they're not afraid to try anything as long as it helps the song. :cool:

• Members
Perhaps the song you're thinking of is "Whoa is Me" off "El Cielo"? One of my favorites from them.

I agree with your point that they incorporate a lot of disparate elements and fit them into a unique sort of coherence. They seem like they're not afraid to try anything as long as it helps the song.
:cool:

That is it.

They also seemed to just really like jamming as well.

• Members

I'm a big fan of Dredg too. I like all their albums but El Cielo and Catch Without Arms are my favorite. I first saw them on the Sno-Core tour before I even heard of them and was impressed. I was there to see Sparta but ended up liking them just as much. I have also seen them open for the Deftones, which is sort of a mismatch but a great show either way.

• Members
I'm a big fan of Dredg too. I like all their albums but El Cielo and Catch Without Arms are my favorite. I first saw them on the Sno-Core tour before I even heard of them and was impressed. I was there to see Sparta but ended up liking them just as much. I have also seen them open for the Deftones, which is sort of a mismatch but a great show either way.

Those two are my faves as well, though Leitmotif certainly has its moments. I am somewhat surprised that "Bug Eyes" didn't catch on more as a lead single, but it is just a great song. The intro gives me chills. :o

Archived