Just in the mail today: Z.Vex Box of Rock

MegaTom

• Members

Z.vex Box of Rock.

1st Impressions:

It sounds just as good in real life as it does on the Z.vex demo video... I'm not sure if it's $200 good, but it is a great sounding pedal. Now it's like I have two completely different amps -- my fender twin when the BOR is off, and a Marshall with the BOR on. The boost is a handy feature, I haven't really found much use for it w/ the Distortion on the BOR itself -- I think it might have been better suited for this if the boost was placed in front of the Dirt, but I have been using it to drive my Aramat Green Machine, and those two do sound really good together.

A few not so good points though... the Boost and Drive knobs are noisy, they can use a good shot of some contact cleaner. And I really don't like where the DC jack is located as it and the input jack interfere with each other - it would be much better if the DC jack was placed on the front of the pedal. And the last thing that comes to mind is the overall size of the pedal. I mean, I do like the size of it in general, but the pots and the switches are kinda close together for my big, cumbersome feet, and it is easy to accidently change a setting or two when stomping on the pedal.

But all-in-all, I am very happy with this distortion, and I think it will turn out to be a worthy investment.

• Members

The noise is normal. It's part of the circuit design, which is why the knobs on the SHO, which is a relatively similar circuit, I believe, are labeled "crackle ok."

eh... go figure. I really had no idea what those little inscriptions meant. To me the noise just sounds like dirty pots. Good think you explained that to me... I was all set to open the thing up and start spraying those pots - I would've been setting myself up for nothing but disappointment.

• Members
eh... go figure. I really had no idea what those little inscriptions meant. To me the noise just sounds like dirty pots. Good think you explained that to me... I was all set to open the thing up and start spraying those pots - I would've been setting myself up for nothing but disappointment.

The boost is incredible in itself.

• Members

Some would say flautist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flautist

Don't spray contact cleaner into pots. It will strip them of their original lubrication. There are other types of cleaners made for potentiometers that allow access to their innards. The pots I use on my effects are sealed completely so contact cleaner will do nothing but damage the shaft seal by stripping it of lubrication.

The drive and boost knobs on the BOR are naturally crackly because of the way they are used in the circuit. Crackle okay, baby.

Archived