I want a few ODs and/or distortions...

jazzbluesrock69

• Members

I've come to realise that there is no single distortion or overdrive pedal that I'll ever be completely happy with, at least not as my only dirt pedal. SO... I have decided to settle for about 3 dirt pedals, because this will give me range and also very cool sounds when blended.

As in my sig, I have a T-Rex Alberta and an EHX Double Muff (and a tuner) as my only pedals. I think the T-Rex is probably a keeper, because it's quite subtle and is probably the best thing for that. The Double Muff, however...not so sure, I haven't found it to be that useable as it lacks fairly basic things like a tone or volume knob...

So I would like recommendation for a genuinely INTERESTING fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedal which could do anything from Hendrix to QOTSA maybe, and also a more crunchy pedal for just simple distortion, more big and epic than the other two (or more?) pedals.

Any recommendations? To recap, that's 1) a light and creamy overdrive pedal (at the moment done by my T-Rex which I'll probably keep, 2) a fuzzy, interesting-sounding pedal and 3) a beefy-sounding pedal for more classic distortion.

I'd like as many good recommendations as possible and with good reasons for each, please!

Thanks so much in advance :)

• Members

Since you're using a strat I would highly reccomend a Fulldrive 2 --> OCD combo. Plenty of tones to dial in and with the boost feature on the FD2 you have about 6 different options for your OD/distortion.

isn't the fulldrive 2 now a "vintage pedal"? I may have got that wrong, but I thought they had stopped making them? That would probably make availability and price an issue. If not, then I'll give it a go next time i go trying pedals. Price is definitely an issue for me though, I need to be able to get every pedal for less than

• Members
isn't the fulldrive 2 now a "vintage pedal"? I may have got that wrong, but I thought they had stopped making them? That would probably make availability and price an issue. If not, then I'll give it a go next time i go trying pedals. Price is definitely an issue for me though, I need to be able to get every pedal for less than

• Members

So I would like recommendation for a genuinely INTERESTING fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedal which could do anything from Hendrix to QOTSA maybe, and also a more crunchy pedal for just simple distortion, more big and epic than the other two (or more?) pedals.

uo_lg.jpg

and

1b9b2b30.jpg

???????????????? :cry:

• Members
www.fulltone.com

For that classic rock sound, try a zVex Vexter Box of Rock

can't really find zVex stuff in the UK as far as I'm aware... I had thought I might look around for one of the Vox Cooltron pedals instead? I'll keep an eye out for zVex stuff though, because I've heard really good things about it on this forum.

• Members

keep the alberta, as it is a very good creamy od.

T-rex make some good stuff too.

for something fuzzy and interesting, the mudhoney is a really good box.

and for the bigger distortion, mi audio tube zone deluxe is a really good and very versatile pedal. the crunchbox is a more straight ahead distortion but still really good

• Members

I'm using a bad monkey and a Little Big Muff at the moment. Makes me happy. Don't know if it would do the same for you.

I think I'll probably stay away from any EHX pedals, I was not impressed by a big muff pi I was playing for a while, nor by the double muff. Both have their advantages and appeal, but I find the stupidly high mids a bit annoying. I've heard good things about the bad monkey, but I'm not sure that it's different enough to the Alberta to warrant changing it.

Archived