Ok, so the RAT might be useful for a few things.....

butterknucket

• Members

it's also the best lead pedal i've ever had ... and when you pair it up with the maharishi ... dear god ... biggest {censored}ing power chords ever ... and as you move up the fret board ... the upper octave kicks in for lead riffs.

the combination eats a fuzz factory alive.

i've had hundreds of boutique pedals ... BJF, Lovepedal ... whatever ... and I still have all 3 freakshow effects on my board.

• Members

i used to have a love-hate thing with my vintage rat RI too. it seemed to trebly or too bassy. but, all that changed, when i switched to an LM308 op amp. Now, I just turn the gain at around 12-1 o'clock, and open chords ring clear. (well not perfectly), but definition is good enough, can be compared to a decent amp.

• Members
I just tried the Ruetz mod on my Rat - not sure if I like it or not really. It
is
much cleaner but the bass response is a bit loose and the reduced treble makes it a little muddy IMO.

you could replace the clipped resistor with a 1k trimpot (or full sized pot) - imo, the best tone is inbetween the stock and Ruetz sound.

on mine, i've added a switch (front of pedal) to toggle between stock, Ruetz and the 'Lube' pot:

ModdedRat2.jpg

• Members

The Rat is a pretty good stand alone overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal, but I think it excels when used in combination with other pedals such as an equalizer (I use a Fish & Chips after the Rat), a boost pedal (I use a Zinky Master Blaster before), and an overdrive pedal (I use a Ibanez TS-9 before). It works well with these pedals to provide different levels of gain as well as different attack and frequency responses (i.e. loose/tight, lots of upper mids/chunky low mids, etc.). I run this combo into a Marshall tube amp (JCM600) to get a variety of tones, including the amps overdrive channel. The Rat is voiced similar to my amp so I can get a lot of different shades of gain without the sounds being too drastic from each other. Eventually I'd like to set up some sort of switching system so the different combinations could be assigned foot switches, but for now there's not too much toe tapping involved to get a bunch of different tones.

Archived