would bose companion speakers work well for amp effects pedal?

bball_1523

• Members

Your first sentence sounds like Engrish.

Agreed, I have no idea what bball is talking about.

Try again.

oh yeah, by the way, Bose doesn't make guitar speakers. Guitar speakers have a more narrow frequency response than high-fi speakers like Bose; they cut out a lot of highs, and really belt on the mids and lows. Using Bose speakers with a guitar amp would produce a similar sound to running directly into a PA without a speaker sim. This doesn't sound great clean, and sounds horrible with distortion.

• Members

Looked those up, they're computer speakers. Which means they would sound as good for playback or monitoring of a *fully processed* guitar signal as other computer speakers of equal quality. That includes more forgiving of a harsh signal than a speaker of better quality. It doesn't include having the surround processing of the Companion 5 on, which probably sounds terrible 99% of the time -- I haven't heard it but if it doesn't it's a first.

As to Bose vs. others similar products, Bose makes some decent stuff but you're paying for a somehow-highly-reputed name and a history of gee-whiz gimmicktry e.g. make it tiny and and as good sounding, rather than the same size and superior. They also consistently avoid what the rest of the hi-fi industry considers decent tweeters and prefer "systems" driving their own speakers with their own amplifiers, which has probably saved them millions in warranty costs. I've actually met Dr. Bose and liked him a lot, but he's kind of in his own world and I doubt he's really ever listened to the current state of the art hifi or is even interested in doing so.

• Members

I've tried playing guitar through my boston acoustics 2.1 pc speakers and the sound is very thin. I am looking for pc speakers that give a thicker sound.

Or would studio monitors do the trick?

The reason I'm asking all this is because I live in a dorm and I don't want to buy a practice amp because it takes up space and may color my boss gt8 worse than I think. (ex. I tried gt8 with roland cube 30 and it sounded muffled, compared to using the gt8 with a keyboard amp, which sounded more clear).

• Members

I was just trying to get on the same page as you, I haven't compared them. In general studio monitors are far better, although lack of normal tweeters on Bose might actually induce a pleasant coloration. They're not cheap for what you're getting though. Maybe could burn a CD from the GT-8 signal and play it on your speaks vs. various stores?

"I tried gt8 with roland cube 30 and it sounded muffled, compared to using the gt8 with a keyboard amp, which sounded more clear" -- you would need to turn off the speaker cabinet emulator in the GT-8 to make a fair comparison. The GT-8 bookk probably tells you to do that and plug into the amp's effects return, bypassing a lot of the controls. With the Frontman you can't do that so would need to start with clean channel bass=treble=0 mid=10, or use the dirt channel and turn off 2/3 of the stuff on the GT-8 ;) .

• Members

I was just trying to get on the same page as you, I haven't compared them. In general studio monitors are far better, although lack of normal tweeters on Bose might actually induce a pleasant coloration. They're not cheap for what you're getting though. Maybe could burn a CD from the GT-8 signal and play it on your speaks vs. various stores?

"I tried gt8 with roland cube 30 and it sounded muffled, compared to using the gt8 with a keyboard amp, which sounded more clear" -- you would need to turn off the speaker cabinet emulator in the GT-8 to make a fair comparison. The GT-8 bookk probably tells you to do that and plug into the amp's effects return, bypassing a lot of the controls. With the Frontman you can't do that so would need to start with clean channel bass=treble=0 mid=10, or use the dirt channel and turn off 2/3 of the stuff on the GT-8
;)

well even then, I don't really want an amp because I'm in the dorms. There has to be a smaller solution, lol.

• Members

ok, I bought the Bose companion 2 speakers and they are not that good. They sound too muffled and lack a lot of a wide range of frequencies, even compared to my Boston Acoustics 2.1 pc speakers. They are thicker than my boston's, but overall they aren't that good.

Would studio monitors give a thicker and wide sound?

Archived