who here has owned/owns an Electra LP copy?

L6Sguy

• Members

just put down a few bucks on a set-neck Electra, being shipped in from another store. it seems like a #2245 if its original, but no idea if in fact is has been modded (which could make it one of several different models, ie: modded Omega). 78-81 by headstock. wont have a chance to play said guitar till next friday, so gimme stuff to think about: hows the necks on these things? seems like some have maple tops & bottoms, hows that sound? whaddya got for pups in it?

Electra2245.jpg

• Members

I have an Electra Omega I bought new I think in 1980. It's a great playing guitar, the neck is very smooth, great action. Mine has a 5 way rotary switch for the pickups and coil tap switches. It sounds very good with the stock pickups, maybe just a little on the dark side. I just did a quick search and found this site with one exactly like mine.

http://www.base.wolfdreams.org/electra_omega_x240.htm

They are great guitars, I think you'll love it.

• Members

I have an Electra Omega I bought new I think in 1980. It's a great playing guitar, the neck is very smooth, great action. Mine has a 5 way rotary switch for the pickups and coil tap switches. It sounds very good with the stock pickups, maybe just a little on the dark side. I just did a quick search and found this site with one exactly like mine.

damn thats awesome!

• Members

http://www.base.wolfdreams.org/electra_omega_x240.htm

very good to hear. hows the weight? and any idea what the body wood is? which finish you got?

looking at the knob placement above vs. the omega layout, i have a feeling its a modded omega x220 now. that one you linked is frikken beautiful. :eek:

Didn't Electra offer effects modules that you plugged in the back of the guitar in recessed pockets? I remember these being in the stores the same time Ibanez had their Les Pauls going.

from the 1977 catalog. there were maybe 10 or so different fx that could be chosen from in the catalog, 2 at a time could be used in a guitar.

c77_pg9.jpg

I had a mahogany electra it was les paul shaped but also had body contours.

a lot of theirs had a belly-cut, imho a great thing. my belly adds tone, give it some consideration.

great electra site.

• Members

very good to hear. hows the weight? and any idea what the body wood is? which finish you got?

looking at the knob placement above vs. the omega layout, i have a feeling its a modded omega x220 now. that one you linked is frikken beautiful.
:eek:

It is a little heavy but not too bad. It's mahogany with maple. Mine is tobacco burst just like the one in the pics, in almost as good condition (I even have the same fuzzy blue hardshell case). I took off the clear pickguard, I think it looks better without it. I knew someone back in the day that had one in cherry burst and that looked great too.

It's solid as a rock too, stays in tune, I've hardly touched the truss rod, the frets are holding up well.

• Members

It is a little heavy but not too bad. It's mahogany with maple. Mine is tobacco burst just like the one in the pics, in almost as good condition (I even have the same fuzzy blue hardshell case). I took off the clear pickguard, I think it looks better without it. I knew someone back in the day that had one in cherry burst and that looked great too.

It's solid as a rock too, stays in tune, I've hardly touched the truss rod, the frets are holding up well.

all good to hear :thu: the mahog/maple part sounds nice, veneered? i dunno if the veneering thing had taken off on guitars by that point..... the frets on the x240 lnked look pretty beefy, thats cool.

any idea of any cutouts/cavities in the body (as mentioned in the hc reviews)? i cant say i'd be dissappointed, that now being a gibson feature :p

• Members

the one above is priced at $350, which imho might be just a speck high if its been modded, but its also listed as VGC, which usually means 'mint' in this shop. $300 though, depending on specific model & condition could be quite fair -- i.e. the one that Ritalin linked i'd pay $300 in a heartbeat for that.

i've been searching for a late 70s/early 80s set-neck matsumoku-built lester for some years now, and i just cant get into buying guitars via ebay/web for. this one will be local/playable beforehand, and with a 60day layaway, i'm happy to pay a couple bucks more for the convenience.

• Members

I had an Electra Vulcan MPC for awhile. I bought it in an Enterprise, Alabama pawnshop for $199. It came with two modules, both working- an overdrive and a phase shifter. In all it was a good guitar. But I wasn't using it a whole lot. So I sold it, for a profit, along with several other relatively inexpensive guitars to get myself a mid-sixties Mosrite Joe Maphis.

All things considered, if I found myself in a band that was playing more straight up rock music I'd probably get myself another Electra. I am also fond of old Yamaha and Aria Pro II. I currently rock teh Yamaha SA30 from the mid seventies.

• Members

all good to hear
:thu:
the mahog/maple part sounds nice, veneered? i dunno if the veneering thing had taken off on guitars by that point..... the frets on the x240 lnked look pretty beefy, thats cool.

any idea of any cutouts/cavities in the body (as mentioned in the hc reviews)? i cant say i'd be dissappointed, that now being a gibson feature
:p

The mahogany is not veneered, it looks like 3 pieces. From when I've had the bridge posts off I remember the maple looking fairly thick, not paper thin like some these days. I don't remember ever hearing about any cavities in the body but maybe. When I commented on the weight before I was really comparing it to other guitars I've owned, none of which were LP types so maybe for the style it's not so heavy. I just gave it the old bathroom scale check and it looks like 8-9 lbs.

Where did you find it?

• Members

daddys, where despite the overall suckiness for decades, they've managed to keep me in great condish 70-80s gear for years now (ie: ross comp $29, ross distortion $29, mij ce2 $30, carvin x60 $200).

8-9lbs sounds perfect, and not likely cavitied, there was only a single reviewer that had said that. japanese guitar interests were hoarding better tonewoods by 80-81 (as detailed in a GP or GW from 81), so its quite likely they were dealing with them for a few yrs before at least.

roy, sounds like you made out ok on the deal, and that you and i cover similar guitar territory.

• Members

The ones I've tried have been decent enough, though a bit pricey ($400+). They seem to be a decent clone from that era. There are better knockoffs, but if you can get the Electra for $250 or below you're doing quite nicely. The better clones (Arias and such) go for $400 and up, though they are actually worth it.

• Members

yeah, i'm hoping that this model was closer to electra's top-line spec than mid-line within their offerings. the set-neck keeps me marginally optimistic. the bolt-necks i've seen have been cool, but i know matsumoku had more to offer (my 78 aria ash strat imho being a good example)

i dont expect the price to drop more than $25ish, but i'm still cool with that. between the opportunity to play it first, and knowing that theres no potential for seller/shipping disasters, its worth it to me.

• Members

I never understood the Aria praise. The music store in my town in the late 70's and early 80's always had lots of Arias and I never really liked any of them. Maybe they only had the bottom end or older ones were better but all the ones I played always had crappy fret work, high action and felt cheap. :confused:

• Members

was there any truth to the rumor I heard that Electra was an offshoot from Ibanez back then. So we were actually playing an ibanez?

no truth for all intents and purposes. electra built by matsumoku, ibanez by fuji-gen gakki. while it was not uncommon in the earlier seventies for MIJ mfgrs to subcontract to each other :eek: the later model you had was a matsu-made guitar.

• Members

I never understood the Aria praise. The music store in my town in the late 70's and early 80's always had lots of Arias and I never really liked any of them. Maybe they only had the bottom end or older ones were better but all the ones I played always had crappy fret work, high action and felt cheap.
:confused:

i've been playing the aforementioned 78 strat for about 20 years, had the frets replaced two years ago. one of the most perfect strats (body & neck)i've ever come in contact with, albeit stock with good hardware, not great. Aria fed the lower/beginner end of the market quite a bit, but not to the exclusion of some very good/great stuff.

lotta US music stores were happy to stock only lower end aria stuff, and not have to precede every sales pitch with 45mins of recon pitch, trying to convince shoppers that MIJ guitars had gotten infinitely better than 60s stock.

• Members

Well, I picked that one up. It's an Electra MPC X 310 and it came with four effect modules (phaser, fuzz, tank sound, and an unmarked one that seems like either a boost or overdrive). The guitar is in really good shape and plays really nice except that a couple of the frets are pulling so the high E string sometimes gets caught under the frets. I'm hoping this wont cost too much to have it repaired. They were asking $300 but I talked em down to $250. I feel like that's a decent price.

Archived