Check out this effin' cool guitar on craigslist!

Destructobot

• Members

Well, you find them by looking in junk stores, garage sales, antique shops, local craigslist, pawn shops, etc. Also ebay.

I just did a search for surf guitar on ebay and narrowed it down to musical instruments > guitar, and found some pretty cool cheap guitars.

Figuring out which ones are gems is sort of an art though. Production quality is generally better on lawsuit era guitars.

I've got a Kay and 3 or 4 no names. The Kay is cool, but I'd only really use it for playing Rock-a-billy or blues. But I've kept it just because it is a cool guitar.

The others-

1 is a really cool hollowbody with p90s that I gotta put a new nut on.

another is a 20 dollar guitar that had some broken tuners. I bought new tuners for it, sort of butchered them on (5 on one side, 1 on the other, because all 6 wouldn't fit) and as ugly as the headstock looks and all, the guitar actually plays nice and sounds good. Sort of a surprise since it doesn't have an intonatable bridge

another has a very thick neck and no truss rod. Would be cool for slide.

another is sitting around somewhere, unstrung, with sharp fret edges, no trem arm that will fit the tremolo in it, and only 2 of 4 pickups that work.

• Members

It could be the area you live in. Maybe the northwest garage thing makes cheap guitars hard to come by, but where I live- sort of surfy teiscos and that sort of stuff are a dime a dozen. Sure, the really cool looking ones end up going for a bit on ebay, but most of them are worth 100 dollars or less, at a fair price. A steal would be getting a guitar like that for 15 bucks.

Archived