What good is a flanger?

triplover64

• Members

I never used flange. Had an onboard one on my little roland amp but never used it. What can you do with flange, anyway but get that swirly, swimmy phasey sound?

Can you combine it with other effects to enhance the sound without being cheesy? I used to set up my multieffects box ( in the days before I went analogue ) with a touch of flange with clean or just a touch of overdrive and would like it for a day or two and then think it sounded, you know, cheesey.

• Members

The ADA flanger is one of the most fun/best pedals I have ever had the chance to play with!

Agreed, and definitely my preference. It's great when used subtlely to activate the sweep when you dig into the notes.

That said, I have not tried a Foxrox but have no doubt that's an amazing flanger as well.

• Members

I have an Ibanez FL9, and I can honestly say that I like it so much, that its the last Flanger I'll probably ever buy. It is very tweakable, especially if you really understand what each of the four knobs do. I can get anything from chorus-type effects, to fat airplane-type sweeps, to tremelo-ish tones, and beyond. It can be as subtle, or as in your face as you need. Highly recommended!

Archived