the US Dollar question....

agentcooper2001

• Members

I don't know if and when the dollar will strengthen, but here's a little realated story. I'm a hair stylist here in NYC, I had a new client today. He was a young guy from Amsterdam. He said his partents were able to send him to New York University because of the Euro/Dolllar exchange rate. It's probably also the reason the college kid could afford my somewhat overpriced haircut.

• Members

exchange rates can be very complex. The short version of it, is currency value is based on the confidence of the world economy on the given currency.

So really it's all based on faith... exchange rates don't always reflect inflation, but both can affect each other, and in some economic theories (i believe) always end up equalizing.

• Members
there's a whole generation of people here who can't afford to buy a house and aren't confident that they will ever be able to, either. i'm not talking about minimum wage earners (who, incidentally, are absolutely {censored}ed), i'm talking about people earning

• Members

Oh, and I should mention - when I was in Ireland I saw crappy guitars that were insanely expensive. Many low-end Epiphones there were seling for 350 euro and above. I couldn't help but run the conversion rates in my head - "You're gonna charge me nearly $500 for that made-in-Korea piece of {censored}?" And when I was in Galway City I noticed almost all of the street performers and "cool kids" playing guitar were all playing low-end Epiphones. I felt so bad for my brethren. :(

• Members
Oh, and I should mention - when I was in Ireland I saw crappy guitars that were insanely expensive. Many low-end Epiphones there were seling for 350 euro and above. I couldn't help but run the conversion rates in my head - "You're gonna charge me nearly $500 for that made-in-Korea piece of {censored}?" And when I was in Galway City I noticed almost all of the street performers and "cool kids" playing guitar were all playing low-end Epiphones. I felt so bad for my brethren.
:(

can you imagine what it's like for us when people post links to things like this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222

$580.....

Archived