New Rig Pics...

Mistersuperfly

• Members

These will probably be pretty final for a good while ;) I went a little nuts this month, sold 2 guitars and an amp, bought the Hiwatt and the Coronado.

I'll post a bit more a little later about the Hiwatt, it's so amazing though... I do have a large hole in my pedalboard now that I don't have the Fender's footswitch, guess that means I'm obligated to fill it right?

Rig1.jpg

board-2.jpg

SG.jpg

Coronado1-1.jpg

Amps.jpg

:thu:

• Members

Hahaha... no, I'm an unmarried 21 year old dude who just likes nice looking (and sounding!) gear.

The Hiwatt I feel was meant to be mine, for the longest while I've been using a Fender Super 4x10 as my second amp in my stereo rig... but I was just surfing ebay and came across the Hiwatt right after it was listed, 100 watt head with matching cab and high quality flight cases for both for 1499$ with local pickup only in Birmingham. I was like "man, I wish I had the money for that right now" then I started thinking about all of the stuff that I could sell. After a few days of trying to get up the money for it, I went back to check the auction figuring it would be gone (It had to be right? it's only 1499!), and it was still sitting there with no bids, I jumped on the BIN. I guess the amp was made in the early 90's during the very beginning of Hiwatt's Audio Brothers era, The Audio Brothers apparently tried to bring back the glory days of Hiwatt and went so far as to source the original suppliers of everything from Partridge transformers down to the caps (no NOS Genalex Gold Lions or Mullards tho ;)). Consensus on the Hiwatt forums at the Plexi Palace is that these are basically the same as the original amps, and without a serial plate it would be hard to distinguish.

On the inside it is amazingly well built, this is a pic off of mhuss of an Audio Brothers DR103
AB_DR103guts.jpg
As far as sound goes it is absolutely sick, it could rip my clothes off if I turned it up so I keep the master at 10 oclock and run an AB/Y into the 2 channels as a channel switcher. The bright channel is set a little louder so I can hit Y and use it as a volume boost for leads...

It has so much girth, and Pete was right... a p90 SG is THE perfect guitar for this amp, so sparkly with so much headroom and combined with the upper midrange grind of the Valvetech I feel like I've found my perfect tone. It loves Tubescreamers too, my Fulldrive sounds awesome through it...

Oh, it was apparently owned by the dude from the 90's band Brother Cane and was used on their tour with Van Halen...

• Members

Thanks dude!

To be honest she actually put 70% of the up front money down on the Hiwatt, I've since payed her back for it... but I'm glad she understands my gear needs! hahaha

Before that it was actually a 90's Fender Super, which was apparently the precursor to the Hot Rod series, but I've never played a Hot Rod that sounded as good as it... It had 4 Celestion Vintage 10's in it that were rebranded Fender Custom Shop, great amp, but it doesn't really compare to the Hiwatt ;)

Archived