Someone explain to me what the big deal is with Keeley

rvschulz

The Keely modded stuff is just much better sounding than the other stuff I have tried. I don't really use anything other than the compressor, and it is incredible. A friend of mind bought a bunch of their pedals (tube screamer, blues driver, DS1) while I have the corresponding Analog Man stuff, and the Keeley just plain sounded better....we actually A/B'd them in my studio with the same guitar/amp setup....

• Members

Swap out a 5mm red LED and install a blue one. They run about $1.50 a piece, but that's all there is to it.

A Keeley mod isn't gong to make your pedal less durable.

I'm a big believer in pedal mods. I've got 2 analogman ts-9's and I've done a few mod kits myself (www.monteallums.com). All are success stories! Much better sounding pedals.

• Members
or maybe...just maybe you could buy a pedal that already sounds good and not play electrician/ mad scientist!
:eek:

:)

:poke:

My girlfriend's been calling me a mad scientist lately, since I've been on a tinkering with gadgetry kick. I enjoy it, myself.

I have a Keeley modded ts'9, but I've only had it for a few weeks, and have yet to play a show with it. I've not compared it to a stock ts9, so far. A friend of mine offered to trade me a Vox Clyde McCoy he's getting for it...not sure if I will or not. I have other dirt pedals, and another wah (maybe 2 more wahs...depends on what happens with this one I'm working on).

Anyhow, all the Keeley stuff I've encountered seems to be good stuff. Not sure if it's a "big deal", or not...sounds good, though.

• Members

FWIW most of this stuff you can do yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron. Its just easier to pay an expert to do it for you. No risk of frying your pedal or burning yourself or using the wrong parts or whatever. And you would be hard pressed to pull off something like his fully modded AD-9 without experience and the right tools.

• Members

Leave it to mr. boutique...
;)

:)

:poke:

Well, Pickledick does have a point. Its always best to use your ears and try stuff out. For the price you'll pay for some Keeley/Analogman stuff you can probably find something that works as well or better for you for the same price or less. But again people pay to get the Boss tanks tweaked by people that know what they're doing. If you gig that's really important. If you're just playing around at home probably not so much.

• Members

Well, Pickledick does have a point. Its always best to use your ears and try stuff out. For the price you'll pay for some Keeley/Analogman stuff you can probably find something that works as well or better for you for the same price or less. But again people pay to get the Boss tanks tweaked by people that know what they're doing. If you gig that's really important. If you're just playing around at home probably not so much.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I was just poking fun (attempting to..?), that's all

Archived