Weird new Gibsons. Check it.

Dr.Picklebottom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

being a capitalist at heart, no.

Willing to say blink sold more albums at a better margin than Roy ever did.

Oh yeah, and DeLonge is still alive. Somewhat difficult for a dead man to play your guitar.

Smart move for the management. Willing to say that while a lot of people know and love Roy, being that fact that he has been dead for a while and not putting out music means a faster shrinking of buyers who recognize his name vs. those that recognize DeLonge's. Which equals potentially more sales for the less featured and less labor intensive Delonge model....

Cost/Benefit.

As for 335 players, I like Alvin Lee.

regardless of whether or not delonge has sold more albums i don't think he deserved a signature guitar before someone like roy orbison. and also, didn't he play fender guitars while making all those blink albums so a 335 isn't even what he was known for playing in the first place. it's just a bad example of a company not having their priorities straight IMO. besides, younger fans of tom delonge would probably be less likely to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar while roy orbison's fan base may have a little more expendable cash laying around so not only are their priorites not straight, it might just be a bad business decision. in a few years i'd be interested to see the numbers but i'd guess that the roy orbison model 335 outsells that delonge model by a long shot.

edit: let me add that my opinion is in no way biased due to the fact that i love roy orbison and could care less about anything tom delonge has done.

• Members
regardless of whether or not delonge has sold more albums i don't think he deserved a signature guitar before someone like roy orbison. and also, didn't he play fender guitars while making all those blink albums so a 335 isn't even what he was known for playing in the first place. it's just a bad example of a company not having their priorities straight IMO. besides, younger fans of tom delonge would probably be less likely to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar while roy orbison's fan base may have a little more expendable cash laying around so not only are their priorites not straight, it might just be a bad business decision. in a few years i'd be interested to see the numbers but i'd guess that the roy orbison model 335 outsells that delonge model by a long shot.

edit: let me add that my opinion is in no way biased due to the fact that i love roy orbison and could care less about anything tom delonge has done.

i dont know for certain but i think Orbison sold more albums than blink2837. i certainly hope so anyway.:)

• Members

agree on all points.
to clarify my position, somebody who migh tbe in the market and recognize Roy Orbison's name is old enough to probably own a few Gibby's. Hook em young and maybe create a repeat customer with the Delonge model.

Blink sucks, but i will give them credit for good marketing.

Roy.. that 335 should come with a free pair of shades. :cool:

• Members

does anyone find it sad that gibson gave tom delonge a signature 335 before roy orbison???

Sad, no. Dumb yes.

Tom DeLonge is (well, was) in a band that got kids into guitar whether you like it or not, and Fender knew this, and his signature series was well within reach (it went for around $600 if memory serves) and the Squier, even more.

I don't know a lot of people just starting to play guitar who can afford Gibsons. Epiphones? Sure. I would have loved it if my first guitar was an epi LP junior. But a full blown Gibson? The "kids who are into blink 182 and want to learn guitar and have $1800 to blow on their first one" demographic is pretty small.

Archived