OLCircuits.com - good as it looks?

super988man

• Members

I've heard great things on here about most of the OLC clones and I'm thinking of grabbing one. Any opinions on the Orange-in-a-box or the AC30 pedal? Maybe the Shredmaster and the Big Cheese? I know I've seen a couple of those around.

Some of these look really great I'm suprised these aren't mentioned alot around here.

• Members

I know the Big Cheese is excellent. The clips I heard of the orange-in-a-box were very nice.

Clips on his site if you haven't found them already:

http://olcircuits.com/olc_orangepeel.html

Mark is a great guy and will answer any questions you have about his stuff. And if you're handy with a soldering iron you can get a kit for any of his stuff and build it yourself to save some money. He's also working with Beavis, maker of the Four Knob Rat amongst other things, so that kit will be available at some point. Definitely as good as it looks.

• Members

I do not like my Brown Sound in a Box 2. This has nothing to do with the quality of the kit, it's just not the circuit for me. It really reminds me of a tube screamer with a little more gain on tap and no mid boost. I love my tubescreamer's midboost!

The kit itself was fine, although not as user friendly as a BYOC kit. I don't really look at schematics when building pedals. I'm not smart enough to learn to read them. I go by the layout diagram. The BYOC circuit boards have all the part names screened on them. That's a big help to me. Also the solder pads are a lot nicer on the BYOC's. That said, my experience with an OLCircuits kit was perfectly fine. I find it easier to assemble a BYOC, but for kits they don't offer, I'd absolutely reccomend an OLC!

In my case, the order was processed quickly, shipped quickly, all parts were accounted for, and she fired up on the first shot. Nothing wrong with that! (I just wish I'd tried one of their other kits instead of the BSIAB2)

• Members

What do the Professor Tweed and Supreax resemble? And how do you use them?

Professor Tweed is a low-gain, chimy Fendery type pedal. It's based off of a vintage Fender Princeton 5F2-A. It doesn't have a lot of gain on it's own, just enough for some pretty chime or light bloozey stuff. If you run it into a slightly dirty amp, you'll get juicier sounds from it, or put Tube Screamer or some such in front and it sounds like... well, a Tube Screamer going into a Fender amp.

The Supreaux is kind of unusual. It's based off of a Supro 16T amplifier. A lot more gain is available, but it will do clean boost as well. A lot of high end is there if you want it, but it can be warm too if you back off the tone knob. Kind of a Led Zeppelin sort of sound. At maximum gain it sounds almost like a fuzz. At medium gain it's pretty and chimey, though in a different way from the Professor Tweed. It's kind of unique.

My Umble is the only one I messed with a little - I used an MPF102 JFET in the first gain stage instead of the prescribed J201. That way it has a better range of usable tones in it, and sounds more Fendery and less fuzzy. Not quite as much gain on tap, but still plenty for me. This one is a lot of fun for leads. More complex than the Professor Tweed, with more low end.

My next will likely be the English Channel.

:rawk:

I have two OLC pedals on my board - a Chunky Cheddar and a Sunkist Squeeze (an Orange Squeezer clone I asked Mark to build for me, with custom graphics we worked out together and external volume and bias controls), and both of them are excellent pedals. Furthermore, Mark IS a great guy, and working with him was a pleasure.

OLC gets two :phil: :phil: from me! :cool:

• Members

I heard some clips of the Prof Tweed on the OLC site. Sounds fantastic! But since I already have a Fender tube amp and a very nice clean boost (modded Blues Driver), I'm not sure I have a need for it.

I have two OLC pedals on my board - a Chunky Cheddar and a Sunkist Squeeze (an Orange Squeezer clone I asked Mark to build for me, with custom graphics we worked out together and external volume and bias controls), and both of them are excellent pedals. Furthermore, Mark IS a great guy, and working with him was a pleasure.

OLC gets two :phil: :phil: from me!
:cool:

Yeah, your Sunkist Squeeze is amazing. Love the layout and graphics. :thu:

I'd like to try out one of his kits someday. Gotta replenish some funds first. :o

i was looking at the big cheese clips on OLC and can't say i've been blown away. Too much of a nasal sounding fuzz, or maybe it's just the recording

There's a rotary switch on it that gives you different fuzz types / flavors. Yes, it can do a nasal toned fuzz, but it can also do thick and wooly, or choked and raspy and sputtery. It's a very flexible fuzz pedal IMHO.

• Members

OLC gets two :phil: :phil: from me!
:cool:

I've got a Thor & Flipster with a copy of Phil's Sunkist Squeeze, an Orange Peel and a custom buffered blender coming soon.

Archived