couple noob questions (moar posts ftw)

Urinate Forever

• Members

1. Why can't you play a guitar chord on bass without it sounding like bull{censored}?

2. How can Bob Weston do the above without sounding like {censored}?

3. Who uses an Ebow on here? How do you hold it?

4. Does an effects loop bypass the preamp?

5. How would you do a stereo set up if you want said stereo pedal to have an effect after it without having two inputs and two outputs?

6. Why do people hate me posting so much?

7. Does copper hardware change the sound a whole lot, or is that just bull? Same with aluminum necked guitars; i.e. Travis Bean, early Kramer.

8. What happens to a pickup when it goes microphonic? How bad is it, in terms of technicality, not in terms of how you like it.

more than a couple, but i've been wondering for awhile and i figured it'd be best to throw them all in here instead of making one thread for each question. google is unheard of for me.

• Members

1, you can....well some people can.
2. Who's Bob Weston?
3. you hold it in your hand like a little iron.
4. an effects loop sits between pre and power amp.
5. I see what you are saying (I think) I would put the effect after on just one of the outputs. you could have different effects also...say stereo delay, with a phase on one side after it and a chorus on the other..might be interesting.
6. Because you are young and you don't own a board full of boootique pedals ;)
7. copper hardware??? like what??

:p

p.s. your new avatar is terrible!!!

1. Why can't you play a guitar chord on bass without it sounding like bull{censored}?

2. How can Bob Weston do the above without sounding like {censored}?

3. Who uses an Ebow on here? How do you hold it?

4. Does an effects loop bypass the preamp?

5. How would you do a stereo set up if you want said stereo pedal to have an effect after it without having two inputs and two outputs?

6. Why do people hate me posting so much?

7. Does copper hardware change the sound a whole lot, or is that just bull? Same with aluminum necked guitars; i.e. Travis Bean, early Kramer.

more than a couple, but i've been wondering for awhile and i figured it'd be best to throw them all in here instead of making one thread for each question. google is unheard of for me.

• Members
1, you can....well some people can.

2. Who's Bob Weston?

3. you hold it in your hand like a little iron.

4. an effects loop sits between pre and power amp.

5. I see what you are saying (I think) I would put the effect after on just one of the outputs. you could have different effects also...say stereo delay, with a phase on one side after it and a chorus on the other..might be interesting.

6. Because you are young and you don't own a board full of boootique pedals
;)
7. copper hardware??? like what??

:p

p.s. your new avatar is terrible!!!

2. Music Producer, in Shellac. Plays Travis Bean bass. He plays lead more than Steve Albini does, and he's on guitar.

7. Copper Pickguard. Copper Picks. Aluminum pickguard, aluminum body, aluminum neck, aluminum everythangggggggg. I think my pickguard is aluminum not copper, i dont think they make copper pickguards.

my bad.

and what avatar was it, i was messing around for awhile. the current one is best.

• Members

Your pick guard is not going to change the way your guitar sounds. Nut/bridge/neck, maybe. If anything would it's the neck.

You know how when you tune your guitar with an electronic tuner, the note is sharp when you hit it, then during the decay it goes flat? This is more pronounced on a bass. Makes it hard to play chords because your strings are all out of tune with each other when you hit them. You either have to tune for it or learn to have a lighter touch.

FX loop is just between the preamp and the power amp. It doesn't bypass anything.

Regarding stereo outs, either run into two separate effects that are mono, use a all mono Y cable into a mono effect, or use an effect with an A/mix output. Of course, the Y cable and the A/mix will {censored} over the stereo-ness of the effect.

• Members

Your pick guard is not going to change the way your guitar sounds. Nut/bridge/neck, maybe. If anything would it's the neck.

You know how when you tune your guitar with an electronic tuner, the note is sharp when you hit it, then during the decay it goes flat? This is more pronounced on a bass. Makes it hard to play chords because your strings are all out of tune with each other when you hit them. You either have to tune for it or learn to have a lighter touch.

FX loop is just between the preamp and the power amp. It doesn't bypass anything.

Regarding stereo outs, either run into two separate effects that are mono, use a all mono Y cable into a mono effect, or use an effect with an A/mix output. Of course, the Y cable and the A/mix will {censored} over the stereo-ness of the effect.

Thanks. Maybe I should put a short clip up of a shellac song to show what i mean by his bass.

When i put my aluminum pickguard on, my neck pickup seems to have gone incredibly microphonic.

i forgot to add to the list.

8. What happens to a pickup when it goes microphonic? How bad is it, in terms of technicality, not in terms of how you like it.

• Members

Thanks. Maybe I should put a short clip up of a shellac song to show what i mean by his bass.

When i put my aluminum pickguard on, my neck pickup seems to have gone incredibly microphonic.

i forgot to add to the list.

You probably need to ground your pick guard.

• Members

Thats weird. Even through a clean w/delay signal, I can yell into my Agile's pups and still hear it a little.

Oh, well, i can hear it a little bit, but not as prominently as with gain.

I {censored}ing forgot about doing with that delay. Mother{censored}er. That'll sound so awesome with that nutso digitech delay i have.

Archived