Music Stores in Oxford, England??

zacheryhunter

• Members

I just moved to Oxford for the year, and I need to find a decent guitar and amplifier. Which store(s) would you recommend? Are there any classified ads websites that would cover this area? I may just have my guitar shipped over to me, but I would still need an amp- tube, medium wattage (15-40??). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Members

I really should have asked about used instrument shops as I tend to prefer to buy stuff used. english_bob, I'm about a 5 minute walk from cornmarket st. around that ice-skating rink. At home I actually play a jazzmaster that looks identical to the one in your icon (or whatever that picture is called), and a japanese 60's telecaster custom, similar to the JD tele. The only shop I've been to so far is the music box, which had a couple of cool items but nothing that grabbed me. I'd like to find a used ac15 ri (or an ac30, but I doubt I have the funds).

• Members

I only just moved down here a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't had a chance to go round the music shops yet. PMT have the Vox range on their website, but I doubt they'll deal in used gear.

If it's only used stuff you're after, you might be better off with eBay or Ad Trader. If the branch of Sound Control back in Derby (where I was living before) is anything to go by, not many of the chain shops are much bothered with used stuff anymore.

• Members

you should just travel to London. There are some good stores there. The ones on denmark street is not bad but I found a certain wild guitars near highgate hold some hidden gems.

There is another shop not too far from hackney I noticed one day but I never had the chance to go back there. I'd need to take the bus again and retrace my steps to see whether it was worth it.

• Members

PMT caters for the more mainstream market, but still has some good gear. Service is absolutely top notch and they have a superb repair guy.

Oxford Guitar Gallery caters for the more boutique end of the market and has some lovely kit. Bit far out of the way but worth a trip. I've only been there once but again really good service.

Music box is....well....its minute, but it seems to have some good stuff...a lot more used gear than the other two.

As ArrMatey also said, you have london and hour away on the Oxford Tube so you have denmark street etc which is cool.

Have you moved to Oxford for Uni? if so which one (Oxford or Brookes?)

• Members

Crazy, I had no idea anyone else on here lived in Oxford!

The posts above have pretty much nailed it.

It's worth speaking to PMT about their second hand gear. They buy used stuff in all the time, plus they've got five stores throughout the UK, so there's every chance they might have what you're looking for at another branch...

Plus, I don't know if it's still the case, but when I last got a set-up there it was done by Plank, Radiohead's guitar tech. Which was a nice bonus.

Guitar Gallery is pretty high-end, but real nice to visit. I bought my amp from there, which was actually a real good price...

Music Box is very hit and miss but when you're in luck it's the best place in Oxford to grab a real bargain.

As for classified ads, these three all have what you're looking for every now and again...

http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/unified_adboard.php?col=bdli

http://oxford.gumtree.com/oxford/4834_1.html

http://nightshift.oxfordmusic.net/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=30ebabe7d82f0bb7d697bae6a2afcc8f

Also, I don't know if you guys heard, but there's a tiny music shop on the industrial estate behind the Botley Road McDonalds which has got a sale on at the minute. Nothing too exciting there, apart from the books... Every music book they have is

• Members

Yeah, Plank is still PMT's repair guy (couldnt remember his name when I posted above!!), he set up my homebuilt Tele a few months ago and it went from pretty good to absolutely singing...the guy is a miracle worker!

(P.S. Konsole, I'm a Brookes student so I'm all for Oxford Uni bashing! Haha!)

• Members

I'm at St. Peter's College (Oxford Univ., the school with the apparently 'hideous' buildings) for the year. I'll keep an eye out on those classifieds, and I'll keep looking around at different shops. Denmark Street in London has a ton of stuff, I would go up there, except it's a 20 pound trip to London, and I'm trying to avoid any of that if I can. If anyone has any decent fender guitars or any medium-size tube amplifiers around Oxford, please PM me.

• Members

I ended up buying a used Laney vc30 2x10 at PMT for 250pds that's quite nice. Ive heard about a few reliability issues with these amps, but they said it includes a six month warranty, and all the problems I hear about seem to happen within the first 2 months of buying one NEW. It sounds great, doesn't take up much space and isn't too heavy. So I'm happy. Thanks for all of the advice. I still need to decide what to do about a guitar.

Archived