slint; official math rock thread

Urinate Forever

• Members

http://goodmorningcaptain.com

three concerts on the front page. A couple reviews there. Nothing too special aside from the bootlegs.

Seeing as how no one even cared about that other slint thread, maybe people will keep this one bumped.

What pedals did they use? Does anyone know for sure? I heard it was all just boss, mxr, dod type stuff. Someone said DS-1. This sounds right, but not completely. There are quite a few tones that are way fuzzier.

Anyway; math rock.

The obvious choices: Slint, Shellac, Rodan, June of 44, Don Caballero, Battles

Lesser known math rock; Drive Like Jehu, Crain.

Anyone have anymore lesser knowns?

Discuss the majesty of math rock.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if Cap'n Jazz counts, but they definitely had some pretty out-there stuff. But they don't really fit with most of those bands (Drive Like Jehu was a bit heavier, but prob the closest out of all of them). Another lesser known group that would fit in with all of that is a File-13 band called Shake Ray Turbine who were absolutely mind-blowing. Just my 2cents

• Members

I hate the term, but I like

Hot Club de Paris

Owls

Polvo

Don Caballero

I don't know if they are 'Math Rock' or not, it's all post-hardcore to me!
:)

A lot of math rockers hate the term math rock and math rocker. I don't know why. Maybe they don't want anymore pretentiousness assigned to them then they already have. :lol:

• Members

I don't know if Cap'n Jazz counts, but they definitely had some pretty out-there stuff. But they don't really fit with most of those bands (Drive Like Jehu was a bit heavier, but prob the closest out of all of them). Another lesser known group that would fit in with all of that is a File-13 band called Shake Ray Turbine who were absolutely mind-blowing. Just my 2cents

yeah, I had alphabeticala834w3ia or whatever on my desktop for awhile, but I decided I wasn't ever going to listen to it, so I ditched it.

Up some Shake Ray? just a song maybe to give us an idea? I'll trade an album with you if you want.

• Members

I dont get the term. People call TOOL math-prog-art-rock.
:idk:
Ive also seen Meshuggah dubbed "math-metal". Great band, btw. {censored}, both are great bands.
;)

Tool isn't math-y at all. They're prog metal. Math doesn't just mean oblique time signatures and shifting them at break neck speed, it's just... i don't even think it's a real term, it's just a scene really. Like grunge.

I thought meshuggah was just a stoner metal band or something.

Mathcore is bull{censored} like DEP.

Haha, bands are starting to call themselves Deathcore. Death metal with post-hardcore. hahahhaha.

I can't wait for Bootgaze, the metal version of shoegaze.

• Members

A lot of math rockers hate the term math rock and math rocker. I don't know why. Maybe they don't want anymore pretentiousness assigned to them then they already have.
:lol:

I just don't like putting music into boxes, especially when most of those bands are doing something outside of the box (and they are all pretty different). I also hate the terms 'shoegaze' 'grunge' 'screemo' and all this other nonsense...it's just all so meaningless and I think most good original music deserves to be taken on it's own merit not shoved into some stupid scene or genre.

• Members

I flew to NYC to see Slint play Spiderland in July. It was as unbelievable of an aesthetic experience as I have ever had. Absolutely spectacular.

Unfortunately, I didn't concentrate on the gear too much, just the playing.

Spiderland is as good as {censored} in this world gets and the last 40 seconds of Good Morning Captain may be the greatest part in musical history.

• Members

I just don't like putting music into boxes, especially when most of those bands are doing something outside of the box (and they are all pretty different). I also hate the terms 'shoegaze' 'grunge' 'screemo' and all this other nonsense...it's just all so meaningless and I think most good original music deserves to be taken on it's own merit not shoved into some stupid scene or genre.

Yeah, i never thought about it like that. you're like, taking the creativity away and categorizing it. I don't agree with it, but it does help give an idea of a band. Unless you're some faggot who tires endlessly over what kind of genre the band is in.

• Members

I flew to NYC to see Slint play Spiderland in July. It was as unbelievable of an aesthetic experience as I have ever had. Absolutely spectacular.

Unfortunately, I didn't concentrate on the gear too much, just the playing.

Spiderland is as good as {censored} in this world gets and the last 40 seconds of Good Morning Captain may be the greatest part in musical history.

I would have loved to have seen them, man. You know they're working on a new album? Well, sort of. They were looking for a rehearsal space somewhere in louisville a few months back and they were going to mess around and see where it took them. Did they play "King's Approach" when you saw them? Someone in the netherlands said they played it, and it was a new song. Playing GMC in your basement is awesome too as well, believe it or not. Especially if you have a telecaster.

I'll post the links to the GPro files of the Slint songs i mentioned in the other thread.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/slint/breadcrumb_trail_guitar_pro.htm

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/slint/nosferatu_man_guitar_pro.htm

The breadcrumb trail one has a lot more thought put into it, it seems. the nosferatu man only has one track and the drum track where it's only the drums. for cues I guess. they're pretty accurate though.

• Members

Yeah, i never thought about it like that. you're like, taking the creativity away and categorizing it. I don't agree with it, but it does help give an idea of a band. Unless you're some faggot who tires endlessly over what kind of genre the band is in.

The problem with having your band shoved into a scene by the NME and the like, is once that scene is dead, your band is too a lot of the time.

• Members

Most bands don't really seem to like being called any sort of sub-genre; math-rock, shoegaze, etc... I guess it helps to describe a group to someone, but I could see it being annoying. Analphabetapolothology is everything cap'n jazz did (as far as I know), and I really love that album. It took a while to get used to it when I was in junior high/high school (the vocals mainly), but it eventually became one of my favorites. They were actually on the way to play a show with my friends' band when they broke up. As for Shake Ray Turbine, I don't really know how to upload anything, but here: http://www.myspace.com/shakerayturbine Some interesting stuff on Wikipedia about them, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shake_Ray_Turbine

Would Chavez fit with any of those bands? Probably not, but I always tend to think of them when I think of Slint, Shellac or DLJ

• Members

Most bands don't really seem to like being called any sort of sub-genre; math-rock, shoegaze, etc... I guess it helps to describe a group to someone, but I could see it being annoying. Analphabetapolothology is everything cap'n jazz did (as far as I know), and I really love that album. It took a while to get used to it when I was in junior high/high school (the vocals mainly), but it eventually became one of my favorites. They were actually on the way to play a show with my friends' band when they broke up. As for Shake Ray Turbine, I don't really know how to upload anything, but here:
Some interesting stuff on Wikipedia about them, too:

Would Chavez fit with any of those bands? Probably not, but I always tend to think of them when I think of Slint, Shellac or DLJ

I think Chavez fits into there. I never listened though.

• Members

I really like Slint, but I got into them way late, and backwards. I discovered the band Tortoise and loved them, and then found out that David Pajo used to be in Slint, so I checked them out and liked them. I know "Spiderland" gets more praise but my favorite Slint stuff is the first two songs on Tweez. The first time I heard Slint I thought "WHERE did this stuff come from?" I would love to see them on tour and I hope they do some new material, too.

Archived