What's important in a delay pedal for you?

DavidFisher

• Members

Update: I have released the information on what the pedal is.

It is an analog multiband delay pedal. Think a DBX speaker calibration crossover, crossed with a Moog MF-104. Or rather, three MF-104 pedals.

It's not made to be a 'normal' delay pedal (although it will have a switch to do some of that too) but rather give you something totally different a tripped out. Want a different delay on the bass than on the high frequencies? No problem. Want to modulate the mid-delay? No problem.

Lots of knobs, lots of fun. I'll be at AES and would be willing to talk to anyone there. The price will be between $450-650. Everything is subject to change, but I want to keep on track as much as possible.

I have more information on my blog/website (I will be setting up a real website within a few days for it). No name yet. Sorry. Release by Jan 2008 hopefully. Read the blog frequently, as it will have frequent updates.

When you are testing out a delay pedal, what do you look for? I am in the process of constructing a "different" delay pedal to bring to market, and I am just wondering what things you would find acceptable, or find required?

Things that mine will include:

-BBD delays (not MN3005 sadly, can't get enough)

-CV inputs/expression control

-perhaps CV outputs!

-Hand painted case

-3dpt true bypassing

-flat diffuse LEDs

-medium/large case (no large than a Hammond 1590DD box, and certainly not as big as a DL-4)

-Semi-high current draw

-Audiophile grade passive components where possible

-2 layer pcb, thru plate holes.

-All hand constructed

-Highest quality pots I can get

-High quality jacks

-Lots of knobs (9+... the reason will become apparent with the upcoming press release), some largish

-Semi high noise. You'd notice it on a JC-120 instantly in a recording, but not on a JTM-45 likely.

-Self oscilation fully possible

-Medium/long delay times (~50ms - 1 second)

-Compander circuit (helps kill noise without gating)

-Individual hand testing and calibration

It would NOT have:

-Battery compartment

-Tap tempo

-Midi

-Anything digital (although relays have been considered)

-Presets

-low current draw

-dead silent operation

-It would not be cheap. No quote yet, but let's say more expensive than a DL-4, and less expensive than a Moog 104SD or a Toneczar

There is a MAJOR twist to the pedal, that will be useful, musical, flexible, and unprecedented in analogue pedals. I expect to be talking about it first publicly at AES, although I do not have a booth, so I will not be pushing it hard. If you find me and talk to me, ask me. I might even have the prototype with me.

Does this hold any interest to anyone? Or do you feel that everything that has been done with a delay has been done?

• Members

David -

All of the included stuff sounds like it will be killer, but the stuff you are NOT including.....eh...esp the quiet operation one. One that I definitely DO NOT want in a delay is unwanted noise.

And my guess for the extra feature is a sweep/treadle to control oscillation. If you had that, not only would I buy it, I would probably blow you.

• Members

the sound. ive been using analog delays and tape echo since i fist plugged in, and I generally didnt dig digi for what i do. then i got a line 6, but it didnt thrill me, but when I plugged in a MIJ dd3 (1st series), i knew something was different right away, felt good. come to find out its hlaf analog anywya (acc. to analogman) and I really like it. the sounds are good and something is really smooth about it....lovely...i dont care for features, per se, just the sound

• Members

David -

All of the included stuff sounds like it will be killer, but the stuff you are NOT including.....eh...esp the quiet operation one. One that I definitely DO NOT want in a delay is unwanted noise.

And my guess for the extra feature is a sweep/treadle to control oscillation. If you had that, not only would I buy it, I would probably blow you.

Too bad he left out the important things, like it actually sounding good.

But no, "I WANT A {censored}TY LO-FI, NOISEY, ANALOG DELAY WITH A PRETTY PAINT JOB! DIGITAL SUX!!! :mad:"

what n00bs

• Members

My intention is to make it as good sounding and warm as possible from a BBD delay, so add good sounding to the list. If something makes it sound worse, then i'm not going to do it- regardless of cost. Sonic quality is #1 for this, but just using BBDs (like tape delay) does add some noise. Then again, show me a pedal that's non-digital that doesn't add noise of some sort. Gain = noise increase.

It should be as quiet as possible, but basically some amount of noise is to be expected on a BBD delay pedal. It's not done yet, but I'm pretty sure that the final pedal would not be as quiet as a digital delay.

Another thing to add, is that the first 25 at least will not by RoHS compliant. Perhaps after that.

The pedal will likely have a modulation section to control the delay time or feedback length. I want to put that in there, but again, the pure sound quality is important.

The only thing I cannot do is get ahold of MN3005 chips, which are supposed to be about as good as BBD chips go. I've just read the spec sheet and it does look quieter. If someone had a few of them, I could make them one based around the MN3005, but as it stands the MN3205 is what it's going to have to be, or a top performing clone of the MN3205 (cool audio makes one that I'm going to A/B and test).

• Members

What time length are you talking? There's a bunch of 300-600ms pedals out there. Maybe you should shoot for even longer...

...and forget about the dainty stuff like hand-painted cases and that {censored}. No one cares. The old Rat pedals look good because they are distinctly minimal and utilitarian. The best pedals seem to look bare and serious.

Archived