Pedals for a bluesy rock tone.

RedOne

• Members

Hey guys.

I won't try to act like I know what i'm talking about when it comes to pedals, because I quite frankly don't know a lot, so i'm going to come across as the newb that I am instead. ^_^

I've currently got an Engl Powerball which (for my tastes at least) can do "Metal tone" or "turned off tone" and not much inbetween. I've heard some decent bluesy tones done with this amp before but for me it's just not quite what i'm after.

Ideally i will end up buying a Marshall and be done with the whole issue, but until then i'm looking for an OD pedal that will give me a Marshall-like blues rock tone. Something that can boost cleans and i'd love it if I could really drive it too and have an almost Guns N Roses sorta tone too.

I love the sounds that Hendrix, Cream and SRV have and I know that a Fender amp would be great too for what i'm after but funds just don't allow it right now.

I have looked around at a lot of Keeley and Maxon and Crowther pedals and stuff like that, but i've not much experience with any of them as manufacturers so i'm hoping you guys can point me in the direction of a pedal that is cost-effective and has great tone.

Cheers! :)

• Members

The M-Audio Bluesboy, and Blues Boy Deluxe get a lot of praise around here as well.

Hmmm, the Blue Boy Deluxe seems really nice. I like the controls and the price is about half of what I see the Crowther and Fulltone and Keeley pedals at. Which is always a bonus!

• Members

Hmmm, the Blue Boy Deluxe seems really nice. I like the controls and the price is about half of what I see the Crowther and Fulltone and Keeley pedals at. Which is always a bonus!

Yeah. They definitely look appealing. Do a search and you'll find a lot of people singing (M-Audio's pedals in general) the praises for those two.

Oh, and people seem to really like the ZVex Box of Rock for that plexi-sound as well.

I'm still searching for the perfect "Plexi in a box" pedal. As I said, I'm still looking closely at the Plexi-drive. :idea:

• Members

Keeley modded BD-2

That's looking good too. It would give a more Fender sound than a Marshall sound, right? I really like the hard rock Marshall tones but I love a good Fender blues tone too, so i'm actually really torn right now. :

• Members

Just seen a really good video on Youtube for the Box Of Rock, comparing it to the TS9 reissue. It sounds like it kicks major ass for the Marshall RAWK tone, which is awesome, and I am rather interested in it now.

I'm hoping it can do a good boosted clean tone, the examples in the video didn't really show me what I was looking for along those lines. And the Blue Boy Deluxe still tickles my fancy, especially at that price.

• Members

Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus pedal. Probably the best out there for what u are looking for. Anything by Keeley

I've gotta go with this. Although I haven't tried a Keeley I highly recommend a TS9 with 808 specs. I had a local guy mod mine. The mod took the harshness out of it. And tone knob actually does what its supposed to do. But if you like it harsh you can crank the tone all the way up. I personally like a smoother overdrive. For me it's the perfect OD now.

• Members

Keeley modded BD-2

The Blues Driver isn't a very good pedal IMO. I've tried the stock version and found it to be too buzzy and harsh. Again, haven't tried the keeley so ignore my opinion if you like but after hearing Mike Livesley's demo of the BD-2 H2O mod I'm convinced there's not much hope for this pedal.

• Members

BlackBox Inferno.

The name says it, there's some smoke, it "fogs" the breakpoint low end, but you know its there. Meanwhile, the highs are kept crispy and clear. I use it with humbuckers but it really shines on a strat. My Island Pedal.

I pitted it against some boutique pedals, perhaps only rivaled by the Lovetone Death of a Vox pedal I tried.

• Members

{censored}ing hell, i just got an awesome blues tone out of my red repeat (no overdrive, ofcourse) it just glassed the sound up and it sounded like little wing. awesome.

anyways, there's really loads of pedals that you can get, but I always thought that the best blues sound comes from a cranked up fender amp.

• Members

To be honest I think the Box of Rock is winning at the moment. If i'm after some SRV type tones i'll just get a Keeley Tubescreamer at a later date.

I noticed there seems to be two versions of the Box of Rock, a normal silver type one and an orange type one. What's the difference?

• Members

Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. A decent pedal for 140 bucks. 808 on one side and distortion (decent too) on the other. I've tried many pedals and this one kicks 90 percent of all the other overdrive boxes out there. It's what I would recommend if you need decent tone while you wait for your brand new handwired plexi head to arrive. :)

Archived