Flight Cases for amps?

fuzzface71

• Members

Who here uses one for their amps? I woke up this morning and decided, that "I think I need to get a flight case for my DR.Z Maz 38 combo". The amp is a tad heavier than my old Vox and it has a cream tolex. With gigs specially this coming winter, I think it might be actually worth inversting on one? Are they expensive?

I mean my pedals have a nice cozy board. Then, why not my amp? ;)

120080396102_1.jpg

• Members

we build flight cases at Keeley Electronics you can call for a quote 405-341-2025

As far as quality/durability, how do your flight cases compare to Anvil flight cases? Are they super heavy duty, like the Anvils, or are they more like the cheaper inexpensive no name ebay cases?

• Members

I had one for my Twin, and it did make life easier, partly because it had two handles instead of just one. It kept it from inevitable load-out nicks and dings, but it didn't really help with fitting it into cars, as it took up more space than just the amp would have.

I'm actually worried about the extra space and more, the extra weight that it would add. Then again, winter, snow etc..the beautiful cream tolex would be smudge and knicked, etc.. :cry:;)

gear.jpg

• Members

Keep in mind that road cases are a 'get what you pay for' deal. If you buy a crappy 1/4" ply one on ebay its not going to offer much protection. I bought a crown cases head rack for my uberschall and aside from the scuffs on the laminate its as good as new after a long tour this summer.

A good case for your combo will probably be about $350 + $80 shipping or so. Get locking casters, theyre a huge help. Either way, dont buy something cheap off ebay. It wont protect your gear and it might not even fit together all that well.

• Members

I had a case made for my Valvetech by Rockhard Case Co. who have since raised their prices, but it wasn't at all cheap when I got it (350 or so).

Though I couldn't see doing anything without it, my amp does not leave it until it is at a show and I set it on top of the case... and if you actually ever do any touring an amp cover just wont cut it, believe me. You DO NOT want junk bouncing around in the back of a trailer without a case.

You could look at something like this... http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Guitar_amp_cases/FHR-212/FHR-212_cutsheet.asp
I know it's for a hotrod, but I think the dimensions are probably very close, and all you would need to do was stick a bit more foam in the top and be done with it. I can attest to the quality of these cases though, they are built VERY well, my band uses the 16 space shock rack that they offer for a measly 200$ and it is just as solid and just as well made (if not better) than my Rockhard case. The hardware is amazing on it, and the fit and finish is impecable... it also has large locking castors.

• Members

... and if you actually ever do any touring an amp cover just wont cut it, believe me. You DO NOT want junk bouncing around in the back of a trailer without a case.....

this is for traveling around town it seems, no grueling tours, evil roadies/etc.

• Members

and if you actually ever do any touring an amp cover just wont cut it, believe me. You DO NOT want junk bouncing around in the back of a trailer without a case.

Well, when my other band kinda toured a bit and all I got was this thin vinyl plastic cover from Vox that my AC30 had. By the end it looked pretty darn beat up with holes and all. And I paid around $80 can for the thing. It did help a bit.

• Members

You could look at something like this...

I know it's for a hotrod, but I think the dimensions are probably very close, and all you would need to do was stick a bit more foam in the top and be done with it. I can attest to the quality of these cases though, they are built VERY well, my band uses the 16 space shock rack that they offer for a measly 200$ and it is just as solid and just as well made (if not better) than my Rockhard case. The hardware is amazing on it, and the fit and finish is impecable... it also has large locking castors.

I wonder if they make other sizes?

• Members

I had a case made for my Valvetech by Rockhard Case Co. who have since raised their prices, but it wasn't at all cheap when I got it (350 or so).

Though I couldn't see doing anything without it, my amp does not leave it until it is at a show and I set it on top of the case... and if you actually ever do any touring an amp cover just wont cut it, believe me. You DO NOT want junk bouncing around in the back of a trailer without a case.

You could look at something like this...

+1 to Rock Hard Road Cases. I had them make a head case and a 4x12 case... definitely worth it. I've since sold the head, but still have the 4x12 and it's held up well over years of touring. Great build quality and customer service. I had to spend $375 (for the cab case) and wait a month for it to arrive, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

• Members

all our cases are built within ata specs, they are built with 3/8 inch abs lamaneted wood at least 2 resessed handles and at least 2 twist latches. amp cases come with 4 4 inch casters, 2 that lock. all cases have double angle alluminum rails and zinc plated corners. i can email pics if you are interested of the cases that we have allready built. both Travis Tritt and Brooks and Dunn have our cases on tour right now.

sorry for the spelling

• Members

all our cases are built within ata specs, they are built with 3/8 inch abs lamaneted wood at least 2 resessed handles and at least 2 twist latches. amp cases come with 4 4 inch casters, 2 that lock. all cases have double angle alluminum rails and zinc plated corners. i can email pics if you are interested of the cases that we have allready built. both Travis Tritt and Brooks and Dunn have our cases on tour right now.

sorry for the spelling

Pm me for the price. I have a Dr.Z Maz 38. Let me know.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey...I'm looking to get a flight case, and I'm curious. I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-Fender-Vintage-Reissue-65-Twin-Reverb-Amp-Case-3-8_W0QQitemZ320140749437QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38074QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

good deal or no? It's cheaper than a rockhard, but only has what, 1''=1.5'' of foam on the inside. Is that enough for a twin reverb?

• Members

Hey...I'm looking to get a flight case, and I'm curious. I found this:

good deal or no? It's cheaper than a rockhard, but only has what, 1''=1.5'' of foam on the inside. Is that enough for a twin reverb?

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Guitar_amp_cases/FTR-100/FTR-100_cutsheet.asp

Archived