The DR. Z AMP LOUNGE!!

fuzzface71

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I sold my Maz 38 last summer to a friend. I'm buying it back!

:thu:

Congrats, you haven't lost your way completely :poke:

I love my Z, I've had it a few months now. Been keeping it simple with only a wah, but I'm planning on expanding my pedal selection eventually.

• Members

oh, k..I would agree, but your comparing it to an old amp. Newer amps would just sound more "sterile" than, let say any nice vintage amp.

Hmmmm, there's a lot that goes into the sound of an amp. Not to go into a whole thing about years on an amp vs. components, but I had a vintage amp that I had a tech do a complete cap job to. At the time I thought those orange drops were "the way to go". After they put them in I hated the amp. It was too "sterile" sounding. It turns out that those caps are favored by high-fi guys, not a favorite for guitar amps because many players find the tone, you guessed it "sterile".

Those orange drops are what Z uses in all his amps. So there's either going to be a love, hate thing going on there. There are new amps out there that are faithful to old designs that sound every bit as warm. It has a lot to do with choice of components.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Any of you guys ever replace the stock Z speakers on your combos? I'm thinking of getting a replacement for my 2X10 Maz38.

Mine came with Tone Tubby H1's. The previous owner said it really helped with the highs but you can dial the chiminess back in with the cut knob. He said he couldn't stand the Webers he had in there before.

Anyone know which tube is the reverb? I think I have a bad one in there. My reverb is pretty weak and makes a lot of noise the higher I turn it up. I have a Maz 38 by the way.

• Members

Mine came with Tone Tubby H1's. The previous owner said it really helped with the highs but you can dial the chiminess back in with the cut knob. He said he couldn't stand the Webers he had in there before.

Anyone know which tube is the reverb? I think I have a bad one in there. My reverb is pretty weak and makes a lot of noise the higher I turn it up. I have a Maz 38 by the way.

Expensive amp mojo sent.

• Members
we should probably ask over at the z forums. but thats alot of work to me.

I know what you mean. :)

Although, I'm not sure if it's the speaker or the fact that I have 2X10's. After years of having an AC30. Maybe I'm missing the 12" speaker push.

• Members
I know what you mean.
:)

Although, I'm not sure if it's the speaker or the fact that I have 2X10's. After years of having an AC30. Maybe I'm missing the 12" speaker push.

well, its DEFINITELY the 2x10s, i prefer 12s no questions. i just....dont like flipping gear ya know? like to try and work with what i get for awhile.

anyone want to trade my maz 18 jr 2x10 for a maz 38 2x12 :)

• Members
well, its DEFINITELY the 2x10s, i prefer 12s no questions. i just....dont like flipping gear ya know? like to try and work with what i get for awhile.

anyone want to trade my maz 18 jr 2x10 for a maz 38 2x12
:)

Actually a 1X12 might just be perfect for my needs.

Archived