The DR. Z AMP LOUNGE!!

fuzzface71

• Members

What kind of dirt pedals do you guys use with your Z?

everyone tells me Z amps all take pedals well. Keep in mind the eq. On my ghia, it has a fendery type of sound, so pedals with a mid hump tend to play well with it. I can happily say that fuzzes go great with my ghia. Muffs sound awesome. Germanium fuzzface too. Rat sounds good. My octron is terrific with it.

I try to remember an amp always sounds when it's pushed pretty hard, if that is too loud, get and attenuator

i had 2 different attenuators in the past. I can tell you they will certainly change your tone for the worse. I don't think it's worth it unless you really really want to sacrifice your tone to get the low volume.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i had 2 different attenuators in the past. I can tell you they will certainly change your tone for the worse. I don't think it's worth it unless you really really want to sacrifice your tone to get the low volume.

I agree, that's why I moved from the MAZ 38 to the MAZ 18. For me the 18 was more practical.

• Members

What kind of dirt pedals do you guys use with your Z?

I've been trying out my ts-10 and barber burn unit. the ts-10 colors the sound too much. The barber is very transparent but it took a while to dial in the settings, since it has kind of a built in compressor. when you crank the amp it compresses as well so it took some time to get it just right.

• Members

:love:What's in that Cab ? 2x12s ? horizontal ? diagonal ?

Here's better info than I can provide. I will tell you that it is a KILLER cabinet.

The "Z Best":

The Z Best 2x12 closed back cab is an animal all its own. We have utilized a Theile Ported design which allows us to dial in the full frequency range of the guitar. Low end is determined by the port thickness, Mid response by the shelf depth, and Top end by choice of speakers. Placed vertically, the Z Best delivers a tuned focused sound. yet has the airy qualities associated with open back cabs. When placed horizontally, you pick a bit more low end as the port is then coupled with the floor. This is a long throw cabinet that will get the sound to the back of the room. Standard speaker configuration is a Celestion Vintage 30 and Celestion G12H30. Other Celestion speakers are available on request.

Weight: 60 lbs

Dimensions: 28

• Members
Hey man, is that a Princeton Reverb? How does it compare to the Z? Is it loud enough? How does it compare with a Deluxe Reverb? I'm actually gas-ing for that amp right now!
:eek::cry:

Yup it is so. A genuine blackface PR. The PR makes for a nice home rig. The clean is genuine fender. It comes with a 10 inch speaker though. I changed the baffle a long time ago and had a 12 inch Webber installed. The extra size moves more air and frankly i like it better. You can change the baffle without devaluing the amp. Compare to the ghia, the princeton is a bit more versatile with the tremolo and the reverb. The ghia has a bigger bottom sound and frankly the clean is more pristine and sounds louder in general. The ghia runs on EL84 and the PR on 6v6.

• Members
If I had to choose a desert island amp, it would be the MAZ 18 Jr. If were a pretty damn big island it would be the MAZ 38 Sr. I try to remember an amp always sounds when it's pushed pretty hard, if that is too loud, get and attenuator. Man, sometimes I wish I would have kept my 38. That being said, I'm very happy with what I have now.
:)

word.:wave:

• Members
Yay for Z's. I'm gassing for a Maz 18 Jr. so hard right now. There are a few on the bay I wish I had the cash for.
:cry:

Congrats, on your recent nuptials to both you and your lovely bride. :cool:

Stay calm and buy a head version. Then you can play it through a variety of different cabs and speaker configurations.

• Members
Congrats, on your recent nuptials to both you and your lovely bride.
:cool:

Stay calm and buy a head version. Then you can play it through a variety of different cabs and speaker configurations.

Thank you much!

I was planning on the head version anyways. I'm not a big fan of awkward 80lbs combos. I'd rather have a 45lbs head and a lighter cab I can move around. I also think a head looks way sweet on a 2x12 cab :thu:

• Members

Yup it is so. A genuine blackface PR. The PR makes for a nice home rig. The clean is genuine fender. It comes with a 10 inch speaker though. I changed the baffle a long time ago and had a 12 inch Webber installed. The extra size moves more air and frankly i like it better. You can change the baffle without devaluing the amp. Compare to the ghia, the princeton is a bit more versatile with the tremolo and the reverb. The ghia has a bigger bottom sound and frankly the clean is more pristine and sounds louder in general. The ghia runs on EL84 and the PR on 6v6.

I saw Ryan Adams last night and he was using Two Princetons with two Vibro Kings, I believe. It's seems to me that his Princeton and VibroKing are connected because it was LOUD. Can you actually use a separate cab for the Princeton like a Deluxe Reverb? Ever play a DR? How does it compare?

(Geez, I'm sabotaging my own thread for asking about Fenders) :rolleyes::lol:

• Members
I saw Ryan Adams last night and he was using Two Princetons with two Vibro Kings, I believe. It's seems to me that his Princeton and VibroKing are connected because it was LOUD. Can you actually use a separate cab for the Princeton like a Deluxe Reverb? Ever play a DR? How does it compare?

(Geez, I'm sabotaging my own thread for asking about Fenders)
:rolleyes::lol:

Don't feel bad. I have a 65 RI Twin that I love. Hell, everyone needs a Twin. They are like a hard teacher, you better have your lessons in order. Clean, demands clean.

• Members
Don't feel bad. I have a 65 RI Twin that I love. Hell, everyone needs a Twin. They are like a hard teacher, you better have your lessons in order. Clean, demands clean.

67 BF here. Big and clean. Recorded "Breezin" with it and it records so good. The reverb on it is not to be believed,:thu:

• Members

(Geez, I'm sabotaging my own thread for asking about Fenders)
:rolleyes::lol:

princetons are not very big sounding, but i guess 4x10 speakers would be loud enough. All fenders pretty much have the extra cab option connector, so adding an extra cab is easy. I haven't own a DR yet, but from what i've heard the DR kicks major ass, easily one of the most coveted amps. :love:

• Members

all of the Z dealers seem to have pretty consistant pricing too, do you guys know if these can be talked down? or are they set?

Boutique amps are usually very set in the prices. They aren't assembly line jobs like Fender or Marshall amps. The best Chicago boutique dealers, Chicago Music Exchange and Make'n Music, both are pretty unable to take the price down. From what I understand in shopping around for an Orange amp, boutique dealers risk not getting any more shipments if they don't charge what the manufacturer like Dr. Z wants for the amps. Z amps are pricey, but worth every penny. Also, the doctor has extraordinary customer service, from what I hear.

• Members
thegang.jpg

They all sound awesome, they remind me of the three bears. The DR is a touch on the bright side, the PR is a touch on the dark side and the VC is just right.

that's a awesome photo. Pound for pound, the PR is probably one of the best. It's just such a light little amp. Your back will thank you for it believe me.

• 3 months later...

Archived