The DR. Z AMP LOUNGE!!

fuzzface71

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm new to the Dr Z. Is the Carmen Ghia like an 18w Marshall? Is that the amp it's paterned after?

It's more like a louder tweed Fender Deluxe with a Voxy tone. Actually, I like it's tone than the Maz, but I'm worried about it's versatility. With just two knobs, though.. what a tone machine indeed!

img1029436505.jpeg

• Members
One volume, one tone knob. EL-84 tube configuration. Very complex sounding despite it's sparse amount of controls. Old school crank the volume and lower at the guitar!!
:thu:

+1 It has a beautiful clean tone with the volume below 12 oclock and as you crank it, it doesn't get a whole lot louder just thicker and more Marshally. It loves pedals and is surprisingly loud. Like FuzzFace has said the MAZ 18 and 38 are super versatile. I recommend you try them for yourself. Amazing value! :thu:

songsforbears, the G&L is great, super build quality and attention to detail. This one is chambered and has a Seth Lover @ the neck and a G&L MFD (magnetic field design) single coil @ the bridge.

• Members

Peach Guitars. Out near Braintree in Essex, definitely worth the drive. Amazing store, without doubt one of the best 3 ive been to in the UK. Loads of nice Gibson, Fender, PRS, Gretch, Dean...Mesa Boogie, Orange, LOADS of Dr Z... The dude that runs it John is about 24 and safe as houses. He's up for some great deals.

Mansons in Exeter also have a few Dr Z, never yet tried one as I don't have teh cash going spare to buy one when I develop the post-demo GAS.

• Members
Is the Stangray is really more Vox right? Isn't it supposed to be a clone or something of his old Vox, or something else?

It's based on his old Vox AC30/4 which was a pre Top-Boost era with EF86 preamp. I think it has a lot more clean headroom than the Vox it's based on though.

I'm loving my hayseed ac15 clone's top boost channel right now. If Dr Z did something that was inspired by the Vox Top Boost I'd give it some serious thought. :wave:

• Members

I teach high school and somehow got a maz 38 put through on this year's budget (my principal is a guitar player as well). It kicks serious ass. the tone is very 3d and the reverb is the best I've heard in a long time. Plus I get to gig with it any time I want.

I've been playing my Les Paul copy through it and it sounds excellent. very smooth. my satriani custom sounds great too, but more so with the pickups set as humbuckers, not split into single coils.

• Members

I teach high school and somehow got a maz 38 put through on this year's budget (my principal is a guitar player as well). It kicks serious ass. the tone is very 3d and the reverb is the best I've heard in a long time. Plus I get to gig with it any time I want.

dude, that rules!

• Members

If I had to choose a desert island amp, it would be the MAZ 18 Jr. If were a pretty damn big island it would be the MAZ 38 Sr. I try to remember an amp always sounds when it's pushed pretty hard, if that is too loud, get and attenuator. Man, sometimes I wish I would have kept my 38. That being said, I'm very happy with what I have now. :)

Archived